FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 17th, 2019, 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EO day trip
PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 7:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

341 miles door to door. Left Portland at 5:45 and was in the water at 9:20 with a gas stop and snack stop. Fished until 2:30, home at 5:20. No luck on swinging on the spey rod, but very solid day Czech nymphing. To say the "squirminator" is popular with the salmon is an understatement. Started out with a pink squirminator on top and a mega prince variation as my anchor fly. My lone brook trout trout ate the mega prince. Had one fish that measured at 23". Had a terrible stretch of about an hour where I could not stop losing flies- bottom, trees; it didn't matter. Saw a few blue wings and a few fish eating on top. There was a respectable sized crowd. Water was at 1900 which makes wading a challenge in a lot of spots. It occurred to me yesterday that 15 years ago, my first fall fishing in Maine, I was wading everywhere in that river at 2000-2300 cfs and thinking nothing of it. Of course, I swam a lot then too. Wind came up in the afternoon. All in all, a very pleasant day. Definitely going up to Newport and over is the fastest route; it's a tolerable day trip.