FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 17th, 2019, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a 5 wt. rod?
PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 3:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

All........

I decided to float a favorite section of my favorite Maine river yesterday. I had two rods with me that are both rated as “ 5 weights”. So, theoretically, they’re rated to throw a 140 grain line.....give/ take a few grains.

One rod is a five wt. Orvis original Helios. That rod is so strong it can easily throw a seven weight line......and feels like an 8 weight. You can easily throw articulated streamers, heavily weighted. It’s a very good “ all around” 5 wt. (albeit a bit heavy for a supposedly five wt. rod). You can really lean into the cast and throw a ton of line......if one is so inclined.

My other “5 wt” is a Winston BiiiX. That’s my five weight dry fly rod. You can’t push it. If you do, you’ll throw tailing loops every time. On that rod, you simply have to let the rod do the work. That rod is really more of a strong 4.

To sum this up, even though both are supposed to be five weights, they’re completely different rods. The Winston would be overlined with a Rio Grand......whereas the Orvis would be fine with that line.

I understand Neophytes being flummoxed by trying different rods and wondering how the heck rods are rated.

BTW, the water was still 62*, even with these frosty nights we ve been having. I was pretty surprised. I was hoping for 58* or below, and thinking the fall Tiny Olives would be coming off. No such luck. The day was very pleasant, but got damned cold once the sun went down. A couple of wild Bows, but like a lot of fall days, not a lot of trout/LL’s to the net.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: What is a 5 wt. rod?
PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 8:22 pm 

I was thinking this afternoon would have been a damn good BWO day, but after driving to the Forks yesterday to hunt partridge, didn't have it in me to make the trip.