FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 19th, 2019, 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendations?
PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 2:47 pm 
FFIMer

On vacation next week with my wife (who thankfully fishes with me) and trying to decide whether to head to Greenville to fish the East Outlet or head to GLS instead. We have float tubes and would be more than happy to hit up a pond or two if the rivers are slow. I know there are numerous ponds in the Greenville area but don’t really know about trout ponds in GLS area. Without giving specifics (unless you want to PM me which I would appreciate) where would you go if you were me?

Post subject: Re: Recommendations?
PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 4:30 pm 
FFIMer

Reading through my own post I realize there is a good chance of me being directed to exactly the OPPOSITE spot from where the recommender would go :lol:

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 5:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

I would head west. GLS hasn’t been overly productive for folks this spring- unless bass are your thing. The local warm water there is on fire and the hexes are only a week or so out.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 8:05 am 
FFIM-aholic

EO level is a little high for some for wading but the reports certainly look outstanding.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2019, 9:49 pm 

If I were going on a fishing vacation with my wife and I only had the choice of grand Lake Stream or the Moosehead region, I would take Moosehead hands-down. That part of the world has many more high-quality Waters, both ponds and streams. For name streams you have the east outlet the Moose River the Roach river and even the west branch of the Penobscot River, Plus a lot of very good smaller streams. Not only are the fishing opportunities more numerous, opportunities for non-fishing entertainment are a lot more numerous as well. You and the rest of us are fortunate that it's been a good water year so far, because right about now is when the smaller streams become non-producers. If I were not going fishing with my wife I would not even consider either of those areas, I would be heading up north and fishing a bunch of streams that no one's ever heard of. Please don't forget that Maine has some 6000 ponds and lakes and 30,000 miles plus or minus, of streams, so it is kind of self-defeating to get hung up on one or two popular locations like Moosehead or grand Lake stream. Good luck and let us know how you do.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 6:06 am 
FFIMer

brian foley wrote:
If I were going on a fishing vacation with my wife and I only had the choice of grand Lake Stream or the Moosehead region, I would take Moosehead hands-down. That part of the world has many more high-quality Waters, both ponds and streams. For name streams you have the east outlet the Moose River the Roach river and even the west branch of the Penobscot River, Plus a lot of very good smaller streams. Not only are the fishing opportunities more numerous, opportunities for non-fishing entertainment are a lot more numerous as well. You and the rest of us are fortunate that it's been a good water year so far, because right about now is when the smaller streams become non-producers. If I were not going fishing with my wife I would not even consider either of those areas, I would be heading up north and fishing a bunch of streams that no one's ever heard of. Please don't forget that Maine has some 6000 ponds and lakes and 30,000 miles plus or minus, of streams, so it is kind of self-defeating to get hung up on one or two popular locations like Moosehead or grand Lake stream. Good luck and let us know how you do.

I couldn't agree more with this. The two areas mentioned are the rough equivalent of Bar Harbor and Lobsters—every visitor's notion of what Maine is all about. Yes, they are cool, but the state is so much more than that. There's a lifetime of fishing exploration to be had.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 6:35 am 
FFIMer

For a pure fishing vacation in the past I would have said GLS the first 3 weeks of June no question.
This year it has been reported to be slow by most people I have spoken to on the stream.
It is still the best stream in the state to teach someone how to nymph, to fish you can see.
There are just not as many fish.

For the east outlet check the Maine Guide Fly shop fishing reports page.
It should be caddis time, I do best with tan or cream others (Dave M) have better luck with olive.
And he is probably right because an olive soft hackle in #16 is very productive.
I don't pond fish but there are plenty of ponds and streams in the area and points north that will fish with dry flies this week.