FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently March 20th, 2019, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Significantly off the topic of fishing, but in a zen kind of way 4 of the 6 degrees of separation.

In those halcyon years of a bygone age, I was thin...and wore disco bell bottom pants with unspeakable fabrics that cause power outages across America….and I read books. Lots of books. The picture of me in my yearbook is of me sitting on the stage, reading a book circa 1978.

Dan Jenkins of Sports Illustrated died this past weekend, and he was a significant force in my high school years- mostly by having the type of humor that rang a bell with me-then and now. He lived to be 90 years old, and basically made only one enemy---Tiger Woods. Look it up.

Jenkins wrote a seminal work for me called “Semi-Tough” about a sport I did not play. I so deeply consumed this book (and all his others) that I used his phrasing as part of my lexicon. On more than one occasion as I lit up the gym with some heroic shot in a basketball game I was heard to say “Tryin’ one”...or after I missed, “That’s a wrap on the meatloaf”. I learned about women,and lived the ideal that there is no such thing as a 1 on the 1-10 scale...I grew a dislike of the “DogAssed Jets”, and actually tried a young scotch...in fact, I had a friend who to this day refers to me as Shake when he sees me.

I have not read Semi Tough for a minimum of 40 years...but I know about Big Barb, Al”Abort” Goodwin, “Dreamer” Tatum, Barbara Jean Bookman and Big Ed...I can still see the Super Bowl where the Giants beat the dogassed Jets on a 2 yard dive on a last chance attempt by Billy Clyde Puckett…

When I read Jenkins had passed, I came home from school and looked at the book shelf- and I see “The Dogged Victims of Inexorable Fate”, “Dead solid Perfect” (which for about 20 years was my highest praise for about anything I was impressed with)...but no Semi Tough to be found.

I bought it on Amazon…..as I bet 100s of other people will and have done this day.

Oh- in today’s politically correct time, this book must be burned….but consider how fluid, how warm, and how deeply funny about the human condition sports bring on us a book must be to be remembered in the detail one could 4 decades later.

I hope just one person remembers me as fondly as I remember a writer and man I never met, but who made me smile when life at home was rocky, and who I will miss when next I sit on a stage reading his work.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 6:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

And if you’re a golf aficionado Dan Jenkins was the predominant Golf writer of the last sixty years

Dave M

PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 7:47 pm 

I really want to see the picture with the bell bottomed disco pants.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2019, 2:02 pm 
FFIMer

Be fondly remembered by many I am sure of that, here is my proof...when being accosted and heckled in the Lawrence Gym while officiating by the vocal young fans, all it takes is for me to turn and drop a "Anybody know Mr. Hutchins?" I have instantly gained a softer side of a raucous crowd on more than one occasion!

Sometimes their energy is matched by their wit, as this was said to one of my "beer belly" equipped partners during a game, " Hey ref, Your pants must hate you!"

PostPosted: March 13th, 2019, 4:38 pm 
FFIM Addict

Bails!!!!

My pants AND shirts hate me! Nice to hear from you- watch that baseball coach- he is sneaky!