FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 19th, 2019, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 13th, 2019, 3:59 pm 
FFIMer

We have been working on a new and improved website for some time now, and the new version will go live in less than 30 days. The new site will require you to create a new user name and password. We understand that this is not ideal, but sadly this is the only way we can move forward with the forum. Unfortunately the current site is no longer supported by modern software, so an update is not possible. We ask that people be respectful and please do not take someone else's current username. Additionally, we can not transfer the forum to the new site, so if there is any information on the current site you want to save, you should do that now. The new website will have a slightly different set up, and will look more like a blog then a forum, but it should serve our purpose. The new website will have the same web address as the current site, so once the new version goes live the old site will be gone. We hope you all follow us over to the updated site and continue the conversation over there.  

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this process,

Peter and the FFIM crew

PostPosted: January 13th, 2019, 6:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Explain the user name situation again please. We can or can not reuse our current user name but need a new password??

PostPosted: January 13th, 2019, 7:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

Al
I think I read it that you can reuse your screen name, but you have to reregister almost as though it was your first time posting. Thats the way I see it. But I sometimes see things differently.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 13th, 2019, 8:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Al
I think I read it that you can reuse your screen name, but you have to reregister almost as though it was your first time posting. Thats the way I see it. But I sometimes see things differently.

Ron

I'm betting you're right, just wanted clarification.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2019, 9:39 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Agree. That is how I read it and how Peter explained it to me.

Peter - will the old content be archived and searchable? Someday our kids may want to know how we filled 4 pages of content debating Euro Nymphing :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 14th, 2019, 6:26 am 
FFIMer

Dryfly,
Yes, you certainly can use your current name and password, but as the others mentioned you will have to re-register. It will be a completely different site, so none of the information from this site will transfer. We want people to be able to have the same usernames, but there is no way for us to transfer that data to the new site.

Tim, I do not believe we are able to archive this site, but I will bring that up to the others to see if it is possible.

Peter

PostPosted: January 14th, 2019, 12:31 pm 
FFIMer

Peter010786 wrote:

Tim, I do not believe we are able to archive this site, but I will bring that up to the others to see if it is possible.

Peter

Would be nice if the history posts could be archived for searching. I just did a quick search for 'Shawmut' and see some pretty compelling conversations going back to 2001. From my perspective, that's some seriously historic local knowledge that will be lost forever.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 8:51 am 
FFIMer

This is the forum archival software that has been recommended to me. Someone oughta give it a go! I would, but I don't think my Mac laptop will run it. https://www.httrack.com/

Someone tech savvy shouldn't have any trouble archiving a simple website/forum like this. It wouldn't look exactly the same, but would be navigable in the same manner, as the link tree would be copied from one format to the other.

It would be a real shame to lose all of the history and navel gazing that has occurred on this forum over the years.

Sam

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 11:15 am 
FFIM Addict

sam wrote:

It would be a real shame to lose all of the history and navel gazing that has occurred on this forum over the years.

Sam

If I recall correctly we lost all the 1995-2001 history when that update occurred. I'd love to read the RJ chronicles from start to finish.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 11:20 am 

dryflie wrote:
I'd love to read the RJ chronicles from start to finish.

Don't forget the time I made some convoluted argument that included references to Frederick Douglas, Nat Turner, and John Brown. Don't remember what got me all worked up, but I do recall feeling like a total ass when Coffee Guy responded with "John Brown? WTF?" or something similar.

Perhaps losing the archive is not such a bad idea! :D

Just kidding, if there is a way to archive it, I do think it would be useful.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 12:18 pm 
FFIM-aholic

There definitely is some good stuff in the archives of this site. I came across this 2006 discussion titled "Is this considered fly fishing"

http://forum.flyfishinginmaine.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8087&hilit=rod+choices

and found it interesting because it discussed the Warden Service position on weighted flies.

I'd hate to see all of that go. One discussion I re-read was about 7-weight rods. Anonymous was dropping Bowel Movements all over the thread (most of the anonymous posts are gone?) and causing quite a stir. Anonymous and rj did keep things roiled up.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 9:49 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I think I'll register as Dave M. :D :D

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 9:41 pm 
FFIM-aholic

And I will register as Ken B. We will really mess people up. LOL

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 11:46 am 
FFIMer

A "new and improved website" that loses 100% of its historical data is definitely not "improved". Anyone in my business who did something like that would be summarily fired. What makes this community valuable is its history--rod history, fly history, Maine History--and there's a lot of great stuff that has been posted that involved, on the part of the posters, a lot of historical work and thought. The chatroom noise that occurs is something different. History matters, and the history on these Boards can be found nowhere else.

My suggestion is to defer any platform changes until you've sorted out how to archive FFIM, and make it easily accessible and searchable--and make sure the embedded image links stay in place.

bb