FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Into my backing
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2018, 9:58 pm 
FFIM Addict

Saw my backing today for the first time while fishing in Maine. I got up early and proceeded to get behind the slowest bunch of drivers I've ever encountered here. Of course with fog you couldn't see through and the temperature hovering at 32* pretty much the whole way. Probably best that I stayed calm and poked along with the flow. Sure did eat up the washer fluid though.
Pretty decent snowpack started up north. On the south side of the height of land probably 16-18" and north of the HOL probably 12-14".
Upon arriving at the EO a midge met me in the parking lot. Saw a few more as I got geared up. Had a bald eagle fly over just as I started fishing usually a good omen. Not so today. Nothing not even a leetle tug. Another fisherman I spoke with had the same luck, nothing.
I did see a stonefly nymph on top of a rock that must have been 1-1/2" long. Maybe with the balmy conditions was confused. I did manage a picture of him and will post if I can get it reduced and posted. Also had a big mink swim up to about 20-30' from me. I was false casting and just kept the cadence going. He dove under a couple times and came up and tried figuring me out and then headed across and downstream.
Oh the backing part...Well as I was fishing above the trestle on one cast my reel fell off. It dropped right in front of me. I was standing on a large rock straight out from the boat ramp. I started pulling on the line and my drag was set light and it kept just peeling line off. I figured I'd use my net to reach under to scoop it up. I proceeded to step off the rock. The water was knee deep or so when I stepped up on the rock. On the other side it was say nipple high when my feet first touched bottom bottom. Then things got interesting. Have you ever tried to swim with one hand clutching a net, the other a rodent waders full of water on the second of December. The current near that rock is generally headed away from where I wanted to go. That and getting ones feet back under oneself in order to walk. Once I was back in mid-calf deep water I started to pull in my line. When I got to the backing I began wondering what type of backing knot I had. Luckily about half way through my backing with the spool diameter reducing in size the drag held enough to not unspool anymore line. Cranking the mess back on minus the flies that got hung up, then it was off to the car. Now will my car remote unlock the doors and start the car after being in my left pants pocket. Luckily it did. Thank goodness I had wool long johns and a wool shirt on. When it's cold out I've been wearing a pair of Simms cold weather wading pants that look decent to wear into a store etc. Except when the are soaked clear through. Don't try to get your feet out of a pair of G-3 waders inside out and wet. It doesn't work, the gravel guards grab you by the ankles. By the time I got home I'd pretty much warmed up and somewhat dried out, except for the 10 fly boxes that also filled with water some more than others and all sitting open on the furnace.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Into my backing
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2018, 10:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

That doesn’t sound very pleasant, but look on the bright side; you didn’t lose or break any gear and you are still alive.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 7:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

Whoa man... bad news... glad ur okay

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 10:11 am 
FFIMer

I was excited to hear your story until I got to the "nipple deep" part and then I knew...it was not going to have a pleasant ending.
Glad everything turned out well for you, this is definately not the time of year for an impromptu swim!
Sixguns

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 10:21 am 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Whoa man... bad news... glad ur okay

X two. The EO Can be treacherous wading in good conditions. This time of year it can be deadly. Glad to hear you’re ok.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 10:28 am 
FFIM Addict

Attachment:
6D1B86DC-3299-4B04-AB42-18028587FA06.jpeg
6D1B86DC-3299-4B04-AB42-18028587FA06.jpeg [ 94.26 KiB | Viewed 735 times ]

Afore mentioned stonefly.
Seeing critters like this hanging in the river one might rethink swimming.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 6:17 pm 
FFIMer

Ron
I know that rock, you are lucky.
I was there the Saturday after thanksgiving. The water was cold and flowing 17-1800 cfs.
Tried that rock and decided the fish were deeper than I could get with the floating line.
Moved upstream to just above the drop off ripple as it shelves up to your right.
Long upstream cast with mending to get the wonder bugger down was the ticket.
Deep and very slow.
That’s what I found works the few times I’ve gotten fish during January up there .

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 7:48 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Yikes. So glad you are okay!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 7:09 am 
FFIMer

You won't need a stress test after that situation. That cold water gets ugly quick. Glad it turned out ok.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 7:32 am 
FFIM Addict

Glad you float...

This is one of the reasons I have a pair of BOOTFOOT waders, though I use them almost totally for duck hunting. Bootfoot waders bought much larger than foot size allow for space for toes to wiggle---and best of all, they come OFF well after getting wet. Am I reading it that you rode all the way home in wet waders? Buy a Reardon size set next time! (or, a pair MY size!)

Hutch

PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 10:03 am 
FFIM Addict

Hutch,
No I turned them back right side out and got them off. Had a momentary thought of cutting them off. Ditched my Simms cold weather pants and drove back in my wool long johns. Got a couple of weird looks at the Greenville PO when I stopped to mail a package for Emily. They probably thought I was coming from my yoga class.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 2:19 pm 

Well...that's one more time than I've ever seen my backing in Maine...like Reinhold Messner used to say, "Without the possibility of death, there can be no adventure!"