FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 14th, 2018, 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 11:00 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Getting ready for a week long trip soon so I thought, as it’s now Tiny Olive season I’d head down to the tying room and tie up a batch of #20 RS-2 Emergers. I have about a dozen different patterns to match this particular hatch, but one can never have enough different patterns when the trout/LL’s get picky......as they often do for this hatch.

I was also looking over what reels I would pair with the rods I’m taking, and as I don’t really care for spare spools, I like to have at least one reel for every rod I’m bringing. It just so happens I’ll probably have four reels for the two different four weights I’ll have.......but that does seem excessive. I won’t be backpacking, so weight and space won’t be any problem.

As reels really are my “thing”.......so to speak.......I have a lot of them. I got to thinking about which.......of the plethora I have.......is my favorite. Not “best”, mind you. Most of us would perhaps agree that the best trout reels ever made came from Stan Bogdan over in NH, with Paul Hermann’s And Ted Godfrey’s a close second.

I don’t have any of those three reels. My personal favorite(s).........as I prefer click and pawl simplicity over disc drags .......at least for freshwater......are the Hardy Lightweight series. I’ll be taking three of them on this trip. A Featherweight for the 3 weight BWO Rod; a LRH for the 4 wt.; and a Princess loaded with a DT 444 Peach for my 6 wt. Cecil Pierce. I just looked ve the sound of those reels when you’ve got a hot fish running into the backing.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d never turn down a Bogdan, Hermann, or Godfrey......but I’m quite content with my Hardy’s.

Dave M

PS: Yes, I do have a couple of disc drag reels for freshwater, and they’re both very nice......but disc drags, in my opinion, are overkill for trout/Landlocks.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 2:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave, I'm basically down to 4 reels now. A CFO Hardy 4wt (design help from Bogdan I believe) , 2 princesses for 5 weights and a Ross R3 for my 6 weight. All good solid reels that never fail. Lost one of the Princesses in the Eddy in June but a diver recovered the rod and the reel, thank goodness. I fished in Labrador with guys who had Bogdans, nice workmanship of course but heavy. They got them from Stan in exchange for machining work their company did for him. In their day they were state of the art in reels but today I think they are more art than practical tools, So many well made machined reels available today.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 8:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

The difference between todays reels and those Dave referenced is that todays are generally CNC produced vs hand machined and produced. J.D.Wagner Rodmaker is producing some hand made reels he has designed and builds himself. He posted on his website the trials and errors of designing and machining all the different components. Kind of like a hand planed rod or a hand built boat.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 11:03 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I feel like I am going through a bit of a fishing mid life crisis. I have enjoyed fishing with my sons 4wt eagle claw featherweight ($25) with a no name reel, s much as any of my actual gear. I miss like little lightning fast 8” browns that love ugly x caddies, and am constantly thinking about how I can streamline my gear down to a single box and no vest. I don’t recall the last trout I caught that I couldn’t have “handlined”. I don’t know anything about the names of the reels mentioned.

To each their own, that is the beauty of the sport and this forum... but it does make me think about our evolution as anglers and the puts and takes of life’s circumstances that surround our hobby.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 11:10 pm 
FFIMer

One of my favorite things about fly reels is that you can sit and fiddle with them in front of the fire or the tv on long winter nights. A Hardy made CFO IV is my favorite in that regard--elegant and smooth.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2018, 7:19 am 
FFIM-aholic

I own two Hardy- Golden Prince and a Featherweight. They are matched to specific bamboo rods that are infrequently used. I will be at the EO Tuesday and Wednesday. I will NOT nymph fish. I'm not even bringing my nymph rod. I will either fish dries/swing wets if I find blue wings or swing streamers on my spey rod. 3 wt glass rod will have have lamson velocity 1.5; 5 wt scott will have tibor tailwater; 5 wt spey will have lamson velocity 3.5. I should get a Hardy for the spey.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 9:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

Great to finally meet you in person Dave. It was right sporty yesterday, but great fishing.