FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 4:56 pm 
FFIMer

This board attracts more than it's share of school teachers and for that reason I dedicate this post.

Good luck this school year.
Be careful about the time you give away to your school system. It's time you will never get back and unless you get a warm and fuzzy feeling all over, there is no reward. Use this time to make money at other tasks outside of teaching. Use this money to help your family or to put towards your retirement. If you find yourself correcting papers at 11:00 PM you're doing something wrong.

Do a good job everyday and an " image dance" is not necessary. Ironically, the teachers who I knew to do the most "fluff" were the weakest in the classroom. The same goes for the teachers that worked hardest at projecting an image. This usually was motivated by an insecurity with roots in what they know to be their inadequate teaching ability. If you're good you know it and it shows. There is no need to bring attention to yourself with fluff or self promotion. Most administrators are not stupid. They work with you everyday. They know your strengths and weaknesses. Your not fooling them with "the dance".
Watch your back. Most of your students are just kids trying to grow up. Unfortunately some have been abused or suffer from yet to be diagnosed mental issues. It is not their fault, but it leaves teachers as an easy target for displaced aggression. It can get real ugly, real fast. Watch your back at all times.
I wish all you teachers the best. Remember there are teachers, and then there are smart teachers. Be one of the smart ones.

I base my observations on 31 years of public school teaching. Unfortunately with new penalties for early retirement most of you will be teaching well into your 60s. Pace yourself. It's going to be a long haul.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 7:41 pm 
FFIMer

The kids across the street did not want to go back to school either, but summers over :lol:
Good luck with your new school year

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 8:14 pm 
FFIMer

kennebecfly, I'm not sure if your post and wish "the kids across the street didn't want to go back to school either, but summers over. Good luck with your new school year." is directed at me or teachers in general. If it's for me, I retired from teaching at age 53 (11 years ago). I did not accomplish this by giving my free time back to the school system. I put my free time to work for me. That is one of the points I'm trying to make. Your right ,I didn't want to go back to school so I arranged things so I didn't have to. Other teachers can do the same.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 8:42 pm 
FFIMer

I have nothing but respect for our teachers...
And wish them all a great year

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 9:37 pm 
FFIMer

Lots of jobs have no rewards, or benefits for that matter. Mine is one if those jobs. Sure, there are days when you want to say to hell with it, but for the most part I do the extra that doesn't get noticed or rewarded. I have no bonus, no benefits, no retirement. But I get a satisfaction of knowing I've given someone their money's worth.Every day you learn something new if you are able to think, and open your mind. I try to impart that on impressionable summer help. Three public school teachers come to mind immediately as influences in my life in the public school system in the 80's and 90's. They may not remember me, but I certainly remember them. Through twelve years of public education, they were the ones who taught me the most. They were the ones I paid attention to. After my parents, they were the ones who made me realize that there is room for self education and improvement throughout your entire life. For that I am grateful. I don't think they were "fluff" teachers or trying to get noticed, I think they cared about what they did, and I suspect they gave the extra effort. I think the system is broken and has the deck stacked against it, but to the teachers who are out there trying to teach, and teach because they believe in an educated society, wherever that society takes the pupil, hopefully to a better place than it is today,Thank You.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 10:48 am 
FFIM Addict

Tom........

I say this with utmost respect, but I truly believe you’re incorrect when you say that “teache s correcting papers at eleven o’clock at night are doing something wrong”.

Back a decade ago when you were still teaching you would have been right, but not today. Schools have changed markedly in the more than a decade since you left teaching.

PBL and it’s assorted bull#### have put teachers squarely behind the proverbial eight ball. I couldn’t believe how things had changed in just my last five years of teaching.

My wife is still an elementary teacher, and they’re responsible for (literally) hundreds of standards for students to meet. Teaching has become a totally impossible job. The days of teachers coming into the profession at 22, and leaving forty years later, at 62, are long gone. The impossible demands now placed on teachers are incredible.

I saw most young teachers my last couple of years say to me “No way am I staying in teaching. I’ll pay off a bit of my student loans......then I’m out of here”. That was the prevailing sentiment.

I left teaching after my forty, and I had still three to even five good years left......but the impossible demands placed on teachers caused my to say “f it........this is stupid. Sayonara “

Luckily, I made the so-called cliff.......so I could walk away with no regrets. With the changes in MePers very, very few teachers today will stay in teaching to 65 or 68.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 12:55 pm 
FFIMer

Thank goodness, Dave M, the State of Maine recently proclaimed, standards based education, is not mandatory, anymore...however, I am guessing in some school it will be a very hard fought battle by administrators (especially curriculum coordinators and superintendents) against many teachers, students, and parents, who want to introduce changes...I hope the teachers, the students, and the parents will win!

PostPosted: September 20th, 2018, 9:32 pm 
FFIMer

Well as a teacher that is back in to the swing of things in the school year I have to agree with some of what you are saying about playing the game and not getting time back. I also agree with you about administrators being absolutely aware of who is doing their job and who isn't. Some districts want you to serve on 18 different committees out of the goodness of your heart. I am very happy that I dont work in such a district. they make sure teachers are compensated.
That being said I am fortunate that I enjoy my job as a middle school teacher. i have another 16 years at least until I reach the "magic age" of 62. I figure if your there then enjoy the pieces you can, and enjoy the hell out of the summers I dont work during the summer because i have two young boys who get all my attention (and we do fish quite a bit). Teaching is changing and some of it has gotten a little crazy with all the latest "flavor of the month" agendas. In the end its a job that pays pretty well and comes with plenty of time off and other perks. Having worked in other fields over the summers, weekends, etc. part time , I'll take teaching :D