FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 15th, 2018, 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 10:02 pm 

Leaving Saturday for my Yellowstone trip, and in the flurry of pre-trip tying, have realized I need some tying supplies and it's too late to get them via mail.

Need some specific hooks in (TMC 200R's, TMC 2487's, TMC 2587's) and a variety of thread.

It's a long way down to Eldredge. What's the current selection like at Maine Sport?

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

What about Terry Walsh

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 10:18 pm 

Great suggestion.

A lot closer than Eldredge. Looks like the items I need are available in his online catalog.

Does Terry do regular hours? Just looked for an email address and can't find one on his otherwise excellent web site.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 10:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

He does but I'm not sure when. But his shop is next to his house. Be aware my GPS unit had me at the wrong end of the street when I first tried to locate him. He is closer to Route one than Main Street in downtown Warren.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 11:40 am 
FFIMer

Jeff, I've got Terry's number.. let me know if you need it. Also I believe he can ship it next day in Maine for next to nothing. Peter

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 1:20 pm 

Terry must not be paying attention. I sent him a FB message, too. I think I have what I need from a local source who is liquidating some of his excess, but if not, I may go old school and pick up the telephone. :wink:

PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 3:21 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, I'm just back from Salmon River in NY. Saw your need. Try Greg Ponte.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 9:38 pm 

Yes, Greg fixed me up.

Is it as sign of something wrong with me that my "emergency" tying kit takes up half of the 50 pound bag I'm going to check? Most of the rest of it is my Sasquatch wading and hiking boots.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 8:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Yes, Greg fixed me up.

Is it as sign of something wrong with me that my "emergency" tying kit takes up half of the 50 pound bag I'm going to check? Most of the rest of it is my Sasquatch wading and hiking boots.

I took one of those “emergency” tying kits with me on a Western fishing trip a few years back...and found it was a waste of time and space for several reasons.
1. Probably many great fly shops between the airport and your destination. You can find anything you’ll need to fill holes. Also, forcing yourself to visit a shop or two could yield great tips/info.
2. Time tying is time that could be spent A. Fishing or B. Sleeping. My wife asked me one evening this year’s trip when I skipped dinner to rush out of the rental for that evening on the river, “when are you going to eat?” To which I replied, “Food isn’t that important...”
3. You’ll likely bring enough to tie several dozen different patterns, and find yourself only needing to tie one or two specifics. Which brings us back to the fly shops. Not every fish MUST be caught using your own tie...it’s hard to come by that realization but it’s true :lol:

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 9:21 am 
FFIMer

Jeez Jeff, are you asleep at the wheel again, I have everything you need and then some, I'm glad you got what you need from Greg, at least you're supporting the locals. I've been traveling with tying gear for my Montana trip for years and so does Joel Anderson, I wouldn't go west without it. I've got a great set-up I've developed that is minimal yet comprehensive, western flies are not rocket science. Stop by sometime when you're in the area, my name is Terry, my store is "The Flyfisherman's Place" located in Warren Maine. You can reach me at 273 4077 or via email at "traolac@gmail.com" Tell a friend. Have a great trip, Terry