FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 15th, 2018, 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 10:42 am 
FFIM Addict

All......

Some dubbing just cling to the thread wonderfully. Superfine comes immediately to mind. It almost jumps right on to your thread effortlessly. Rabbit and beaver also come to mind when contemplating dubbing that flows effortlessly onto the thread.

Most synthetics.......not so much.

I’ve been working lately with UV Ice Dub.......a very unruly synthetic. Certainly, with enough effort it can be dubbed effectively.........but it takes way more effort than some others mentioned above.

As I was tying up large flies for my Grandsons to fish Bass and Pike this am I was using a lot of Ice Dub. I don’t use much dubbing wax, choosing in place of wax to use a child’s glue stick. I thought “Hmmnnnnnn........” and rubbed the glue stick up and down the thread. Glueing the Ice Dub to the thread resulted in a nice, tight dubbing noodle. The dubbing won’t seperate from the thread, and dubbing the synthetics is now a snap. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this twenty years ago.

This will certainly make dubbing Kaufman’s Stone Nymph a helluva lot easier. Light finally dawned on Marble Head, as the old saying goes.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 5:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Good tip... for the unruly ones I use the split thread method and then twist it on the thread, or leave it bushy depending on the need.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau