FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 15th, 2018, 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 10:44 am 
FFIMer

I have one of those Collapsible Wading Staff. I think if is aluminum construction.

Curious if others have similar and what they do to lubricate the pieces so it comes apart easier? I have a couple sections that are extremely stubborn.

Thanks and have an awesome day!

- ZG -

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 11:15 am 
FFIM Addict

I have no answer. I use a Simms Staff.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 12:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Try parrafin wax.

Damn auto fill on the phone!

Last edited by Boneylegs on August 24th, 2018, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm 
FFIMer

If its a Fol staff its aluminium.. they come with a small piece of beeswax for keeping the ferrules from sticking good idea to use it often.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 4:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

kennebecfly wrote:
If its a Fol staff its aluminium.. they come with a small piece of beeswax for keeping the ferrules from sticking good idea to use it often.

Or the nearest rock.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 5:55 pm 
FFIMer

The aluminum staffs will get roughed up after awhile and the joints need to be smoothed out with fine sandpaper and then wiped down with wax.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 9:22 pm 
FFIM Addict

If is a FolStaff and you have issues they do a great job at rehab. I found one in a river in California. It took a lot of wiggling and tapping on rocks to finally get it freed up. Used it for a couple years then had to send it back for new shock cord. They cleaned it so it was smooth to take apart plus a new tip and would have replaced handle but I wanted to keep the handle on it. It was like $35 or something incredibly reasonable. Great people. I believe it’s a total female owned and operated company.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 12:20 pm 
FFIM-aholic

After many folstaffs and a product test from Bean's and Orvis, I now have simms staff.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 2:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

The Simms staff is very good. I’ve had mine for the last nine seasons, and it comes apart just fine. I DO wish, however, that it came in a 3/4 inch version. It only comes in the 1/2 inch version, and it really shakes in rough current. A 3/4 would be much better in that regard. The Folstaff does come in a 3/4 inch version, but as has been said above getting Folstaff’s apart can be a challenge at times.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 2:36 pm 
FFIMer

I used a folstaf for many years and agree that their service is great. Cheap and quick repairs are standard. I had two problems with the folstaff. The first has been noted, that often it is hard to impossible to get the sections apart, even after application with wax. The second (and more important issue) is that the staff will pull apart on the water when the bottom sections are used is a mucky bottom, or the staff gets locked up between rocks. Because of that I have been using a Sims staff for the last 5 years or so and have neither had none of the issues associated with the folstaff. I did have one issue this spring with the inability to get the sections to go together due to a scratched up ferrule/guide. A small session with emery cloth has solved the problem. I keep the folstaff as a back up now.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 11:45 pm 

My ancient staff--an old one from Bean's--has finally given up the ghost. I had a Simms before that and really liked it.

Does anyone have a NEW Simms staff? Reading online reviews, I find a number "wish they hadn't changed it" comments. I was just going to buy a SIMMS until I saw those.

Anything else I should be considering? I am not a fan of shockcord. I hate the sling shot effect of a stuck tip.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 7:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
My ancient staff--an old one from Bean's--has finally given up the ghost. I had a Simms before that and really liked it.

Does anyone have a NEW Simms staff? Reading online reviews, I find a number "wish they hadn't changed it" comments. I was just going to buy a SIMMS until I saw those.

Anything else I should be considering? I am not a fan of shockcord. I hate the sling shot effect of a stuck tip.

I have a "newer" simms stick- it does vibrate in the current a bit and it is designed for right handed people ( like most things in the world. It's light, adjustable in height and the plastic lock mechanism notwithstanding, seems to be well made- no shock cord. I has the orvis stick made by Black Diamond ( simply a re-purposed hiking pole); it lasted less than one season- the tip broke first, then cord system snapped inside- poorly made POS. Since my life style change and weight loss, I find that I use my stick less often- sober, stronger, faster, lighter on my feet.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 10:01 am 
FFIMer

I've got an older LLB staff gifted to me by Don Lynch himself about 4 years ago... it could be older then me for all I know. It has worked great until the first fishing trip this spring, it got stuck and as I lifted it separated then at the same time I lost my balance and jammed the staff back into the ground. Problem was it hadn't snapped itself completely back together and the middle joint got ever so slightly mushroomed out. For months it was stuck together until a few weeks ago I finally pulled it apart with vice grips. I think I can sand the male end down and make it collapsible again. It does wobble quite heavily in strong current, but it has never slipped on me.

Peter

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 10:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

It does wobble quite heavily in strong current, but it has never slipped on me.

Peter[/quote]

I hope you're not talking about Don...... :mrgreen:

Sorry I missed the festivities this weekend......

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 9:45 am 
FFIMer

I now have a Simms staff, after losing many Folstaffs but I much prefer the Folstaff for one very important reason, as soon as you pull it out of the holster it's a wading staff and if you need it RIGHT NOW it's ready. I'm almost 72 and wading has been challenging for a few years now, I don't like fishing with a a long rod hanging around my feet, that adds even more danger. The Simms need to be assembled before it can work but the Folstaff is ready for action and soon as you pull it out of the holster, this could literally save your ass (or your life, whichever comes first) The sticking problems can be easily remedied. One suggestion for Folstaff is to improve their tether system along the lines of Simms.