FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 23rd, 2018, 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 10:32 am 
FFIMer

Fished the K last night and despite the cooler water temps the levels were what I would consider danger low for this early in the season. fishing was decent but I was able to wade in spots that are usually armpit deep this time of year and I would only otherwise wade with a life vest. I know there are some showers in the forecast but holy crap is it some dry!! might need to sacrifice a few chickens or something. I don't think I can remember a June that was this warm and dry, which makes me a little nervous about the deep heat of August for the coldwater fisheries.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm 
FFIMer

You're not kidding, my local after work haunts flow is almost in the single digits. The Androscroggin is down to late summer flows already... things are not looking good.

I fished the K Sunday, at daybreak. The low water there helped my some as I am not familiar with it yet. I waded all over the place, up and down, side to side... I bet I waded 3/4 of a mile just getting to know the layout, and looking for risers. I found some, briefly, but could not connect. They where in the one spot I found with water over my knees. I waded out to stomach depth about 60 feet above and 80 feet away from where the best fish were coming up. I got some good drifts but could not get them to eat. I fished small caddis, bwos, sparkle duns, loop wing emergers... they didn't want any of it. Water temp there was 63*, another week without rain and the trout fishing will be over.

Peter

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 5:49 pm 

I watered the hell out of my garden on June 2 before I left on my Baxter trip. Got home mid afternoon on June 10, and had lost a few plants to drought. It's brutally dry.

I checked USGS rainfall gages. Since May 1, 1.4 inches of rain in Augusta. I think normal is in the 3-5 inch range. 2.4 inches in Oquossuc; 2.6 at Bingham.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 6:44 pm 
FFIMer

Right On :!: Spent a few days up North and I must say the paper Co. roads are parched earth..
a wicked dust bowl for sure. Like it was August upcountry, and the rains (showers) they were calling for tonight are likely to pass us by.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 10:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’m not sure how much water they have in one of the reservoirs that feed the Farmington in Ct. the one river that feeds it the flow is very low, but they seem to have plenty of cold water from the reservoir. So much so that it seems to me at least to be setting the sulphur hatch back. I haven’t seen any in the stretch I fish yet. Usually by now they are well on their way. Fishing has been exceptional even without them. Plenty of other bugs and the fish are willing and very healthy. If only work wasn’t getting in my way. I’m not sure how that is going to pan out once I retire. May have to put in Foley style day trips now and then. But then again I have a lot of catching up to do at home in Maine.

Ron

Sir John Buchan