FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 18th, 2018, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 3:28 pm 
FFIMer

Saw my first olives today. Small black midges too. and rising trout......

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 6:51 pm 
FFIMer

I fished the same river both yesterday and Sunday. Sunday there were caddis popping, and some midges in the air. Yesterday there were no caddis, no midges, but a few mid sized(14ish, maybe 16) gray mayflies... Hendricksons perhaps. Flipping rocks both days showed cased caddis, stones, mayfly larva, green rockworms, and boatloads of midges.

Peter

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 8:56 am 
FFIM Addict

Blackflies forced a cigar to be burned while mowing the lawn last night. Later, I heard my first mosquito of 2018. It’s time to go fishing.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 11:54 am 
FFIMer

Caddis and a few mayflies on the midcoast...its been decent thus far.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hoping for a spinner fall tonight on a certain midcoast river.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 5:48 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Tom! How goes it?

A week ago Thursday at Kidney Pond, BSP, I witnessed the BEST mayfly (Hendrickson) hatch I have ever seen in the East. Massive. The trout noticed! I caught the last half hour.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 7:39 pm 

Drove 95/295 from Augusta to Kennebunk and back last night. Heavy hatch of out-of-state license plates that I am sure is a lot thicker now. You know the Mass-assers are getting thick when (1) lots of cars pass you on the right; and (2) lots of people are driving slowly in the left lane and not getting over when you come up behind them. (They call it the "passing lane" for a reason, people! No offense folks, my sister live in Massachusetts, and although she was once a very polite driver, she's awful now. It must be something in the Quabbin Reservoir water.)

Got my ass chewed by the black flies in the garden this afternoon, but on my way in at 6 pm there were #16 mayfly spinners mistaking my truck hood for water. Checking to see how canoes made it through the winter and pond fishing tomorrow.

Stopped by a certain midcoast river last Sunday--it's very much like a Pennsylvania spring creek (that's a reference for the old timers :lol: ) and it may or may not be the one Titleguy is fishing as I type. Many LARGE caddis flying around--like 10's or 12's. Did not see any on the water. Burchstead was fishing, but we all know he never catches anything. I headed home to mow the lawn. Dry or die!

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 5:04 am 
FFIMer

Spent a couple hours on the big river..
Saw my first real mayfly hatch of the season as soon as they really got going high winds would shut them down or blast them from the river, saw no risers ,but managed a few fish on streamers. The Bro' and I will be back at it this morning.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 10:51 am 
FFIMer

A few Red Quills popping off now, and the suckers are thick in the brooks producing their "hatch".

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 10:23 pm 

A few mayflies and scattered caddis on a pond today. Fish eager to rise--they'd take any reasonable dry fly.

Actually, I don't know if that's true, since I started the day with an orange Hornberg, which is not all that reasonable. They took it all day long.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 8:10 am 
FFIM Addict

Large Blue Wing Olives (Cornutas) on a favorite section of the K yesterday, but interestingly, the trout didn’t seem to be focused on them to any extent. Maybe a couple of dozen trout came up, and none were those “happy fish” that came up regularly chomping bugs.

A rise here, s few minutes later a rise there, but mostly sporadic.........and nothing like the blanket hatches of the old days.

I took the collar after throwing dries, emergers, Nymphs, and even streamers at them.

It was certainly good to get out and exercise the casting arm, though. The water there was finally wadeable, at the very least. While twenty years ago there might have been forty fishermen there, yesterday I had the entire 600 yard stretch to myself.

Dave M

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 8:36 am 
FFIMer

Things on one my favorite stretches of the river are starting off slowly( more normal ?) at least in my opinion. We are just starting to see the temps reaching those magic levels. As I mentioned in another post we just seeing Hendrickson's. Last week I had the temps in the low fifties. I think things will really start to take off soon since we had temps reaching the low end of sixty's

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 8:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

Caddis and a few mayflies were on a nearby river last evening. Trout were rising steadily, but not for the larger bugs. They were on black flies. Tons of them floating helplessly down the highways. But they were tiny, #24s? The smallest offering I had to match was a #20 black-dubbed CDC loopwing. Tossed alongside the naturals, the loopwing looked huge, and was refused.
Why though, did these same trout NOT refuse a monster #16 olive wet fly on the swing? That brought a lot of fish to my net.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm 

In the Rangeley area today working, not fishing. Saw a few BWOs, a few Hendricksons, a few Yellow Sallies, and a few fish rising to them.

Found the spawning fall fish on another stream after work was done, and it was like fishing Alaska for big spawning fish, colored up to spawn, full of fight--except for the big scales and the mouth on them.

It is a native fish though. :D

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 10:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

I was with Jeff today and can attest to finding the fall fish. I’m not sure I’ve seen a stronger run of them anywhere else in Maine. Willing and aggressive fish to put a bed in a rod. Sight fishing to boot. Not a brook trout or salmon to be found amongst them though.

Driving home, the streams/rivers are mostly all looking low. Time for rain.