FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 7th, 2020, 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New rod and reel!
PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 7:03 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Treated myself to a new to me Orvis Access 10ft 4 weight. Picked it up on eBay for $200! Pairing it with a new Abel TR. May take a road trip to the Smokey Mts in March to test it out. Anyone ever been to that area?

Ken

Post subject: Re: New rod and reel!
PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 10:43 am 
FFIM Addict

Nice. Are you sure you're qualified to handle a rod that big? Just sayin'...

I've been to Asheville, NC for stream design training a few times and had the opportunity to tour a number of area streams within and around the Pisgah National Forest. It's an awesome part of the country IMO. Lots of blue lines and hidden gems. The local fisheries I was around were mostly rainbow trout centric, though I know there are brook trout in the area. We got over to the eastern edge of the GSMNP for a couple of stream sites we visited, but didn't explore too much of the park. One thing I will say- there is a lot of rhododendron, autumn and Russion olive around the area, which- especially when mixed with multiflora rose- can make traversing a stream difficult if you need to walk a streambank.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm 
FFIMer

I have a 5wt 10' LL I love. Would love a 4wt
I think 10' rods give you extra high stick and mending ability plus enough backbone to cast heavier flys and makes it easier to deal with bigger fish with a lesser weight rod. That in the end is good for the fish. Only downfall, they don't fit well in tight cover.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 6:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Came in from the NW and fished the Natahala about 30 years ago. Drove down from Cincinnati the wether was great spring weather to early for Hendricksons in the North. Camped woke up to snow on the ground and it never warmed much. Only had that one day as it was a hurried decision. Other friends went down the next day and the Hendricsons were poppin'. Will attest to the stream side brush. A 10' rod? hope you have good shoulder repair insurance. You catch a back-cast on the various laurels etc and it sticks and stays.
Froze solid or are the steelhead running at all?

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 6:45 pm 
FFIMer

Congratulations on the new gear. I hope it makes all your dreams come true. Hell, even if it doesn’t, it’ll get you through the rest of this winter.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 7:20 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Ron,

Jan was a better then average month for steelhead but it’s since slowed down due to the cold. Late March and into April are the prime months on the PM. Will definitely being doing more of it. Come on out! My Asia Pacific tour has been cancelled so I’m now in the US for a while.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2020, 4:54 pm 

Ken:

That might be an excellent tool for next September's trip, but I'd suggest something more like a 7' 4 weight for the Smokies. (The Abel will serve you well either way.) If you want to practice and test gear for our adventure, send me an email. I fished two hike-in streams on the National Forest land outside the park. Will need to do some research to remember if they were on the NC or TN side of the line. Both are all wild fish.

One had mostly browns. The other had a mix of rainbows and brookies below a nice waterfall, and all brook trout above.

And to get yourself mentally prepped, pick up Harry Middleton's "On the Spine of Time" for evening reading with a dram a bourbon. You won't regret it.