[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Perdigons?

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 9th, 2020, 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perdigons?
PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 12:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

All........

Perdigon Nymphs seem to be all over the Net lately as the “ next big thing” in flies. I believe ( somebody correct me if I’m mistaken, please) that these things are a Spanish Euro Nymhing thing from European competitive fishing?

They are * exactly* the opposite of what I was brought up believing a good Nymph should be tied like. e.g. a well tied Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear is rough, spikey, course, and that traps air bubbles.Same for a well tied Kaufman Stone Nymph.

Perdigons are extremely smooth, and sink like a proverbial rock. Just this morning in my in-box I got my weekly newsletter from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, and there’s a link to their Montana Bullet.......another Perdigon.

Do any of you tie, and actually fish these things? Do they work......or are they another affectation to get us to buy more tying materials?

My Nymph box is already jammed so full I’m going to have to take out a few other Nymphs to get a half dozen or so in there, but I am tempted to try them.

Post subject: Re: Perdigons?
PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 12:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

I use similar nymphs in smaller sizes with some success. I think it comes down to the point you hit on- they don't offer much resistance to the water and therefore sink like a rock, lending more time to the strike zone. With that said, I haven't Perdigon-style nymphs to be any more effective than other styles over a size 16 or so, unless fishing for shad or river herring. Perdigon-style nymphs just aren't that buggy in larger sizes, and IMO- the fish notice.

The one advantage they do offer- they don't use much for materials other than a hook, a bead, thread, and some sort of lacquer- so they're cheap ties of which you don't mind losing to the bottom as compared to something you spent minutes or longer tying.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 3:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I use them now that I have gone to the dark side. They are a terrific anchor fly. You should see them fish on the Gallatin.... Purple Perdigon.... I have caught fish on them everywhere I have used them in Maine...

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 7:18 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Yes, they work, especially in Spain. When a guy on a river in Spain showed me, I switched over to some #18 brassies and also started doing well. In small sizes they resemble a chromidid (?) and larger i think are good attractors. I think we all think of “big and buggy” because of what we see under rocks, abs we know caddis, mayfly and stoneflies produce... these just imitate the smaller stuff.

That said, I tie mine without the massive coats of laquer or Uv resin. Just one pas of HAN to prevent the tinsel from getting chewed up.

Black, red, and chart green are my favs

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 9:22 pm 
FFIMer

I used to tie a bead head fly called the Blood Midge. I often was sloppy with the lacquer and ended up coating the body of the fly. I never realized that I was tying a "new" fly. I guess I should have sent it in to Fly Tyer mag for recognition as it certainly looks a lot like the Perdigon. By the way, I never had much success with the fly

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 10:12 pm 

They look like they could be very effective...
I can't help mentioning that the notion of competitive fly fishing puts me off a bit - kinda like competitive eating...

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 2:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 10:13 am 
FFIMer

I have never tried one of these.They go against everything I believe a fly should
have. I want my materials to pulse and breath in the water. I want air bubbles to
adhere to the fly. I want my fly to be shaped sorta like a nymph.