[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - TU/Clean Water & Trump

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 7th, 2020, 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TU/Clean Water & Trump
PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm 
FFIMer

I know that politics are frowned upon here, but this is really an environment story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/opin ... trump.html

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 8:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

I know enough to be dangerous on this one. What the current administration is doing is criminal IMO, but if the heads of the justice department and EPA are on your side- who is there to do the prosecution?

Brief synopsis:

The ‘Waters of the US’ rule was enacted by the Obama administration following a court ruling that determined headwater streams and wetlands were governed under the Clean Water Act, forcing the administration to develop rules for governing such. The Obama administration kicked it to the legislative branch, who fumbled the football hard, forcing the administration to develop rules brought into play by the courts.

Ultimately, a handful of agricultural states, where agricultural ditching of headwater streams and wetlands is the norm rather than an exception, sued. The issue is that those ditches would become regulated under the Clean Water Act. As you might expect of a poorly dug ditch, many are significant sources of sediment discharging to downstream waters. The WotUS rule was meant to protect headwater streams and wetlands, and bring the more disastrous agricultural ditch experiments in line in an attempt to protect downstream waters.

Those states that brought suit, preferring home rule, took their issue to the current administration while is now using it to not only roll back the WotUS rule, but also undo many of the protections instituted under he original Clean Water Act. Want to bulldoze some wetlands? Strip a mountaintop to fill in a stream? Dog a new pipeline across numerous waters? The sad part is this has been a calculated campaign by one side of the aisle over a number of years to roll back the Clean Water Act.

Think it won’t have a ripple affect here in Maine due to our natural resource protection laws? I wouldn’t be so sure. Under the LePage administration many things were streamlined at the State government level. For one- he eliminated many of the permitting oversight activities at the State level where there was redundancy at the Federal level. With the Federal level being rolled back- it may be time to look at tightening the State’s NRPA laws, etc...

Oh- and for those not following- the current administration has also exempted many environmental reviews associated with protected species, provided your project is big. So- if you want to be really destructive- dream big...

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 12:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Following up on my post from yesterday. The impacts to the CWA are, in my opinion, a sideshow to draw attention away from the diminishment of the National Environmental Policy Act. NEPA was the first major environmental policy passed in the US and is considered by many to be the “Magna Carta” of environmental law. Without it, reviews with regard to other important environmental acts (e.g., CWA, ESA) are not necessarily triggered. This has big implications and should be something folks are vocal about to their state officials (including the Governor’s and AG’s offices).

You really only have to look at the DOI’s website listing press releases affirmative to this administration’s stance on NEPA to understand how broad of an effect the new policy on NEPA will have. It’s almost comical that the current administration is doing this, given how much the current ruling party derided the last administration for creating policy at the administrative level rather than via the legislative branch. But it’s not comical at all given the circumstances of what will be affected.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 1:26 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks Hunter & kmudgen for this useful info.

I feel better day by day knowing that people who frequent this site and also use the natural resources of this State for enjoyment voted to destroy it for the rest of us responsible stewards.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 1:28 pm 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 3:25 pm 
FFIMer

Realistically, the Trump supporters just do not care. They all fall into line and obey the great leader.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 9:55 pm 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 4:57 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler, I'm glad to hear that environmental protection is a high priority to you. It is to me as well.

However, I could not care less that political threads do not play well here. I care more about protecting the environment and its natural resources that I enjoy and appreciate to the exclusion of pretty much any other activity, and if your politics is detrimental to that, to hell with you. I find it offensive that people who vote for an administration hell bent on environmental deregulation participate on a forum, that has as one if its goal the protection of natural resources. They are a cancer to that goal. Cancer should not be coddled, it should be excised.

I also do not care if speaking the truth is offense to people. Sorry snowflakes, its not my fault you fall into a stereotype, and if you think I'm wrong about Trump supporters not falling into line, show me one who has opposed him.

And if one's list of "priorities" is basically voting for Trump because of your economic well being, another big to hell with you too. Setting the environment aside, voting your pocketbook while overlooking the disabusing of brown people of their children and throwing them into cages, reserves a very special room in hell for you. That's about as admirable as the church was during the holocaust.

I could go on, and on , and on as there is plenty of rotten fruit to pick from the Trump tree. But I won't, as I mostly just want to point out its no good for our goals to not confront people who are ignorantly taking action against them.