[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - 4-Weight Fantasy

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 4th, 2020, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4-Weight Fantasy
PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 7:17 am 
FFIMer

I’m on the couch listening to a hard rain on the metal roof and hoping we’ll dodge the ice-storm bullet. For whatever reason, I’m in the dangerous mode of equipment fantasy purchasing. My photographer friends call this affliction “GAS” or “Gear Acquisition Syndrome”.

The first step for me was convincing myself I need a 4 wt rod. Then it was simply a matter of googling for reviews of same and within 20 minutes I’d convinced myself that I really ought to have a Hardy Zephrus 8’6” 4 wt. It’s just a click away!

What say you? Anyone have and love a 4 wt. they would recommend? I have the 5 wt. thing covered but find myself floating on small ponds enough that I can imagine how the lighter rod would make more sense.

Post subject: Re: 4-Weight Fantasy
PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 8:05 am 
FFIMer

I’m a huge 4 wt fan. I have more than I should. My favorite is the one I don’t own at the moment, a Scott G2 8’4” 4 wt. 4’s are more versatile than they get credit for.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 8:29 am 
FFIM Addict

A 4 wt. has become my “ go to” rod weight. The new ones are much more versatile than you might have found, say, 25 years ago. My absolute favorite is a Winston BiiiX......which you can now pick up for about 1/2 of what retail used to cost......so you can pick one up for in the $400/$450 range.......either brand new or gently used. If you want to cast one before pulling the trigger mine is always available to try.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 9:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

When considering a new rod I seldom consider changing one line weight up or down. Any rod I own will cast one line weight up or down - even my old glass rods with little loss of distance or accuracy.

If you add a change in rod length it's a different matter but if I had an 8 1/2 foot, 5-weight I'd just put a 4-weight line on it.

What you really need is a BRAND-NEW 3-weight. :lol:

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 9:05 am 
FFIMer

I am a firm believer in using the lightest weight tackle possible so more of the fight of the fish transfers to your rod hand. I have found this has to be balanced with "castability" in the wind or even breeze. To me there is nothing more frustrating than being in a fishing situation and having the breeze ruin your day because your line won't, quite literally, "cut it". Yes, you can carry more than one weight of line or entire outfit with you. In a boat this is easier than on foot. I'm not a big fan of doing it. Yes, there are some naturally sheltered ponds and back woods streams but for the most part , in Maine usually the breeze needs to be factored in to your days fishing. 4wts have their limits when it comes to the wind factor. At least for me they do.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 10:10 am 
FFIMer

Glad I asked. Good feedback. I’ve been fishing 9’ 5wts for a very long time. I’ve owned 8wts and 9wts for trips to Alaska and Labrador, but sold them after the trip was done. My current main rod is an Orvis Helios 2, 5wt, medium action. I can do almost anything with it and it will punch through wind easily. My fantasy includes a slightly softer rod, 8’6”, that will be more delicate in close. I’ve wondered about fiberglass but while reading about the newer 4 wts, discovered that many of the new graphite rods combine a delicate presentation with enough oomph to reach out.

I think I need to feel one in my hands. Dave M: I might take you up on your offer when the weather clears.

And Mike, thanks for at least trying to pull me back from the brink. A 3 wt? Really? Do real men use 3 wts?

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 10:26 am 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 11:04 am 
FFIMer

Sage LL4711. But used they go for a premium and no equivalent in the re-introduced series.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 1:39 pm 
FFIMer

There is nothing ever wrong with a new 4wt. Even if you have a dozen of them! But I would suggest looking outside the box of modern production rods. Softhackle's tip on the Sage 711LL is a good one. Along those lines I would also suggest 4wt Sage SP, the 480 not the 486 or 490. The 480 was the sweet spot in that series. The SP is a medium action and would be considered medium/slow compared to today's graphite rods, but the LL is even slower. Or you could real old school graphite and try out an Orvis 711 from the unsanded superfine series. (This one is my all time favorite graphite 4wt.)

All three can be found on Ebay from time to time.

But if your set on an 8'6" or longer and want to try something new, take a look at Livingston Rod Company's Western Glass series. Two options there, the 864-3 or the 894-4.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 4:22 pm 
FFIMer

You always have one less rod than you need

PostPosted: January 13th, 2020, 8:56 pm 

My 4 weight is my new "big game" rod - I'm thoroughly convinced that today's 4wts are the new 6 weights...like I've mentioned many times before the Orvis Clearwater 9', 4 wt is a fabulous rod & value and the warranty is damn good too!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2020, 10:38 am 
FFIMer

PostPosted: January 14th, 2020, 1:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mr Foley also fishes a 2wt like it was a 5 or 6 also. He fishes a god awful bugger adaptation from a #2-#10 on a 2 or 4wt with a line that has more core showing than outer jacket like it was a # 22 sparkle dun or a pheasant tail.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 14th, 2020, 3:24 pm 
FFIMer

So... he’s a mutant? Cool.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2020, 5:20 pm 
FFIMer

I absolutely LOVE my 2 pc Sage 490 SP. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Lots of small mountain streams around here and my go-to is an Orvis 8' 1 wt. overlined with DT2 wt. I've landed cutts over 18" w/o much problem.