FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 16th, 2019, 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 10:44 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Anybody else notice this has been the best grasshopper summer in the last twenty or more years? Those suckers are everywhere......and from little one inch ones to mammoth three and a half behemoths.

When I go for my daily four mile walk I’m putting up them all along the route......even along city streets where one shouldn’t expect to be putting up hoppers.

I’ve read all the articles in the flyfishing magazines about “Hoppertunity Time”, and other such articles, and while I’ve caught some trout/ LL’s/ Smallmouth on Hoppers......I’ve never done nearly as well on them as we re supposed to.......even out West.

I’ve tried all the different hopper patterns too. Schroeder’s Parachute Hopper.........Charlie Boy Hoppers......Dave’s ( perhaps the best of the bunch) Barr’s......even “old school”, like Joe’s Hopper, and LeTort Hoppers.

I’ve always done better on terrestrials like ants and beetles than I’ve ever done on Hoppers.

I’ve still got a couple of fall trips on tap, but I suspect the Hoppers will be gone by then.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 12:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

I broke off two big rainbows in an hour of fishing hoppers out West last week, where I was fishing over fish that were probably on spent spinners that I didn't crack with my other attempts. These were well-educated town fish within a mile of the ski condo we were staying at. The first one was an epic battle and I ultimately decided I had to put serious pressure on or the fish was likely to die anyway. I hooked that fish probably 80 feet downstream from me on an infinidrift. I got him up to leader 3 different times. I could see the hopper sunk in the corner of his jaw as he swam off. I frequently fish hopper-dropper or hopper-dry this time of year. Especially if I'm doubling with some kind of tiny in the film kind of thing.

If I want to fish hoppers, I always ask at the most local shop I can what their favorite hopper pattern is. Fish can pickier on hoppers than you would think. I generally prefer hoppers with thinner bodies. I don't know why they work better, but they do. This coming weekend I will definitely be fishing hoppers at least some, with mostly likely starting point a hopper with baetis nymph until afternoon, when I'll go hopper-BWO. I might even do some hopper-trico double in the morning, if I see what look like trico risers.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 12:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

One more thing -- interestingly enough, my fishing choices in my limited time last week were definitely informed by my bike rides earlier in the week. I had seen pods of risers while riding near the river late morning = trikes, and bought a bunch of trikes. Next ride, which was a mid-day ride, I ran over so many hoppers. I never used the trikes.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 2:50 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I love grasshoppers. They produce tremendous strikes in ponds. And I agree Dave, they are everywhere this year, at one point I thought the plague was happening at my place.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 5:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

Back in another life when we lived in the Mad River Valley of Vermont a Letort hopper or a Letort cricket late in the summer were the ticket. Not that the farm fields bordering it had anything to do with it. Haven't had much luck with them since then. Not sure what pattern he was using, but when my brother was on the Bitterroot this past July and Aug. ,everyday when I checked on him it was hoppers against the banks slamming browns in the afternoon.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 10th, 2019, 12:00 am 

Before my first western trip, I was advised to pack and tie lots of BIG foam hoppers. I did, and they worked great--as strike indicators for hopper-dropper rigs. Lots of trout came up and took a look at those hoppers, but not many ate them. (They did just hammer a little trailing nymph or ant, though.)

Then, on advise from a fly shop, I tried some small (10-14) hoppers in pink. Cutts loved them. So did a big brown from under a bank at the confluence of the Gibbon and Firehole. And, when I came home to Maine, they saved a couple of days of pond fishing for brookies. Here in Maine, I've had great hopper fishing in mid summer at several spots just below dams with big grassy banks.

And yes, there are piles of hoppers and crickets in Maine this year. I ran out of old leaves so mulched my garden with straw this year, and it's full of hoppers.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2019, 10:25 am 
FFIMer

My one simple comment on hoppers is, if , on occasion, you ain't gently twitching them, then you probably aren't catching much. This is when that Winston 4 wt, BIIIx comes in handy. Very nice touch for twitching hoppers.

My buddy and I have been tearing it up hopper fishing on the Beaverhead the last few weeks and went over there on Sunday. Temp was 58F and even though we saw some along shoe, they weren't eating them. I put a Cranefly on as I'd been seeing them during prior weeks and have done well with them on overcast days. First cast 16" Brown, second cast 17" Brown. Was slowly skittering them over the surface. A blast!

Back to hoppers for a sec, I've found that a Moorish hopper is a good all around hopper but this season, fish have not been able to lay off a slightly twitched Panty Dropper Hopper. Love the fly as the it looks realistic, the legs don't get wrapped, it's very durable and I also think the red legs work well.