FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 16th, 2019, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 4:12 pm 

Any fishing worth doing in or near Boise in mid November? I need to go there for a conference, and am wondering whether stretching my trip a day or two to add a day of fishing is worth it. My flight actually gets cheaper if I stay an extra 2 days and fly home Saturday or even Sunday.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 4:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

You’re only 80 miles from Silver Creek. A couple of days on Silver Creek is always a fun time......the most challenging Fishing you’ll ever have, though.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 7th, 2019, 10:18 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, I fished SC for the first time 2 weekends ago. The fish are really spooky but were a bit uninhibited the day I was there as the hopper bite out here has been phenomenal this year. The stretch I was fishing had live hoppers floating down the stream and if you even put the slightest ripple on the water, from your movement, the fish were down. At one point, a wind gust blew 8-10 hoppers off of tall grass and into the water right upstream of me. Fish were eating them and trying to eat my #10 Peach Thunder Thighs hopper. Pretty awesome and in 2 hours I had 6-8 eats and 2 fish landed including a beautiful, thick 17" RBT.

An Idaho 2 day license is only $22 and you can get it at Picabo Angler in Picabo, Id, right in between the prime time sections of SC. I stopped in and talked with a knowledgeable shop guy named Chad, told him I was looking for somewhere that I could walk a bit and potentially find some fish feeding to Tricos, PMD's or Hoppers and he, knowing that I wouldn't be wearing out his fishing holes for more than a few hours, gave me 2 spots to choose from. I fished the northern section which has 1.75 stream miles of public land.

I'd suggest calling him and asking if there's a place to get a night or two of lodging and seeing if he'll be around in November. He's a diehard fisherman and a good guy who would point you in the right direction.

Highly recommend SC.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2019, 12:01 am 

Thanks, guys. Still cogitating. I really wish this trip was not in November.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 12:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

Definitely bring the rod. I've caught fish right in Boise on the Boise and my expectation is that you could still find some in November, but I don't know much.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 4:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

Better to have it and not be able to use it, then be able to use it and not have it.

Sir John Buchan