FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 16th, 2019, 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wading Boots
PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 5:48 pm 
FFIMer

You guys are making a strong case for Korkers. Once again, the element of personal preference seems to tip the scales. The biggest selling point I've heard so far is that they're comfortable. I'm assuming they're also stable and supportive. Worthy of consideration for sure.

As for the BOA... not for me. Even though it's a quick fix, I have to get out of the river to do it. My old body won't keep me upright while I lift my leg clear of two or three feet of water to make the adjustment and I sure as heck ain't going to stick my arm in up to the elbow. Guess I'm a lace guy.

Thanks again for the insight. I trust you guys more than I do the online reviews posted with all the online shops.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 6:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

As to the BOA closures.......As I understand it Boa makes two types of those. The ones I have, and it sounds like you guys do too, are the ones that I ratchet as tight as I can, and the damn things loosen up quickly.

Boa, as I understand it, makes another type that has a lot more torque, so that when you ratchet them closed they stay that way. Perhaps Generation 2 of the Boa’s ? No idea......I just hate the damned things. Laces all the way for me.

Speaking of wading boots........have you seen the ads for the new Pattagucci/ Danners that cost $550 ? Yikes! I wore several pairs of the old Danner River Grippers, and loved them.......but these new puppies are pricy.

Dave M

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 6:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have the Korkers...and in muddy bottom ( Quake lake estuary) I have lost bottoms twice in the last 2 years-one each season. The mud sucks the soles off, and I never noticed because it felt no different. But, in both cases, once the water cleared from the mud fog, I was able to fine the missing part and replace on my boot. The Korkers worked best for me as I was able to replace the studded soles with the rubber non-studded bottoms quickly and easily...but a warning is needed...the just rubber soles are incredibly BAD on the river rocks of the Madison and the Mo.- in fact, dangerous.

Hutch

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 10:13 pm 
FFIMer

I admit I was tempted by the Korkers but in the end, I went with what I hope will be a solid (if boring) alternative. I ordered the Simms G3 with vibram and studs. I don’t have them yet but hope they turn out to fit my fishing habits and to be honest, If I don’t have to think of them again until they fall apart (or I do), I’ll be happy.

Now if it turns out that I win an all-expense-paid drift boat trip out west, I’ll spring for something special just for the occasion. I figure I’ve got about the same chance of that happening as I do of having Bonnie Raitt sing at my birthday party.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 6:20 am 
FFIMer

Tinsnip
You will very happy with your boring :lol: choice, Great boot

PostPosted: August 10th, 2019, 9:09 am 
FFIMer

The worst fall I’ve ever had was on the EO with my “Foot Tractors.” Landed squarely full force in the dark on my knee. It was the final insult to a knee ravaged by football, hockey and years of running! Now wondering when knee replacement fits into a schedule! For years I had only used felt and studs. Period. Switched because of concerns of spreading Invasives and paid a price!
Tried the Korkers with studs and felt and feel secure again. But on a trip to northern Quebec the soles came off in some deep mud! Korkers gave me two new pairs and said in the larger sizes ( mine -14) that can happen in mud. So be aware! It can be prevented by rigging up a strap. ( well, not exactly prevented, but at least you won’t lose the sole)And with an extra set of felts you can rotate them in a freezer to kill any hitch hikers!
I have the Boa system and was very wary at first. Actually, still am! It’s easy to replace a lace! But, knock on wood, have never had a problem!
Bottom line - it’s nice to have multiple soles! Always use felts with studs and if it’s illegal, just switch!

PostPosted: August 10th, 2019, 2:47 pm 
FFIMer

Dan Daly wrote:
... It was the final insult to a knee ravaged by football, hockey and years of running! ...

Knees suck. Or they do now. I never paid them any attention during all those past decades. Now? Stupid things hurt for no reason. The majority of my friends who've had replacement knees have admitted that if they had it to do again they would not. There's no guarantee it will be a miracle cure. I've decided to stick with mine and have learned to keep large bags of frozen peas in the freezer to ice it down with.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 7:35 am 
FFIM Addict

I’m very surprised to hear about these Korkers soles coming off. I’ve been wearing Korkers for going on 10 years now......and have never had a sole come off the boots. The Paradise Valley Spring Creeks in places have deep mud, and I’ve never lost a sole, even being almost knee deep in the mud.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 8:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

My very time wearing my foot tractors I went down at McKay.... hard and bloody...

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 9:39 am 
FFIM Addict

Tinsnip wrote:
I ordered the Simms G3 with vibram and studs.

You will be happy with those. I got 4+ years out of my last pair, which I think is pretty good considering how many days I've gotten out of them during that time (sadly, mostly for work and not fishing). I often leave wading boots in the back of the truck, too, and sunlight wreaks havoc with the liner fabric. But- I upgraded to a new pair over the winter. I have the studs for them- as I got them with the last pair and never put them in. Not sure I'll do it to these either- but I don't wade super slick spots often either.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 1:22 pm 
FFIMer

Yup, they're just what I wanted. Rugged enough to withstand a hike, sticky in the water, and comfortable enough so I forget all about them. I realized this past spring that I've got ten years from my current pair of waders. Not saying another thing about them so I don't jinx that minor miracle.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

Just this past week I used for the first time a pair of Simms Rock Creek felt soled wading boots> I bought them for their lightness as they were one of the best quality and lightest in their class. They were destined for a hike on the wild side last year with Mr Foley but I had to cancel because of Emily's first bout with cancer. I added my preverbal aluminum sheet metal screws. Wading the couple time s I've used them I feel like I could wade straight up the American falls and come back down the Horseshoe falls without pulling my staff out of the holster. East Outlet May have to have the staff to rest on.
That being said, not sure why I got size 12's. They must have run small when I first picked them out (memory seems to have a slight dark spot). Can't imagine shuffling around with much bigger boots. Still like my G3's which may go back for new felts this fall. Have a pair of older G-3's with early Vibrams that just plain SUCK!!!!!! Hate them, were bought when didymo first became the rage.

Ron

Sir John Buchan