FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 17th, 2019, 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 9:54 am 
FFIMer

I may have the opportunity to pick up an older 9' 7wt Sage Graphite II DS for $100. I have never fished a Sage before (I have an Orvis Access and a Winston BIIt, which I love). I've done some research, but can anyone here tell me 1). is this a good deal? and 2). What is the action on this rod like? I was thinking about using it as a streamer rod and for light saltwater duty.

Thank you in advance for your input!
Best,
Tyler

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 11:21 am 
FFIM Addict

That was never one of Sage’s top of the line rods, and you’re buying 35 year old technology, so if it were me I’d offer them $75 and call it good. As always, ymmv.

Dave M

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 12:42 pm 
FFIMer

If I remember right, "DS" was Sage's entry level or "Discovery Series" rod type. A pure guess would be that the action is slower/softer than the pricier models in their lineup (especially for that time period). Not sure how that translates for you and stuff you'd throw in the salt.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 2:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'd say the $100 price should depend on the condition. Heavily used it's a bit high and Dave's suggestion of a lower offer might be in order. I have a brand new never used 5wt DS2 and it's probably only worth about $150. The D2 action is a bit slower than other Sage models in their time but I think a 7wt would be a great streamer rod, not certain it fits the saltwater category however.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 3:54 pm 
FFIMer

Tinsnip wrote:
If I remember right, "DS" was Sage's entry level or "Discovery Series" rod type.

Yes, it was Sage's entry level rod during that time frame. I think my buddy got his new for $299, if I remember correctly, quite some time ago. While I'm a huge fan of Sage and have several of their rods which I love, the Discovery Series left me unimpressed.

I'm with Dave M. $75 would be my ceiling.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it. I was on the fence in the first place and now I may pass altogether on the rod.

Tight Lines,
Tyler

PostPosted: July 20th, 2019, 5:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dryflie --
If at some point you'd rather have $150 in your pocket than that 5 wt DS2 (if it's a 4 piece)... you just let me know.

That DS2 was my favorite rod for quite a while, until I left it on an airplane maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I did learn a lesson -- on Monday flying back to CO from ME I remembered my flyrods, but I forgot my work laptop, which appears to be gone for good.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 6:49 am 
FFIM Addict

pushaw wrote:
Dryflie --
If at some point you'd rather have $150 in your pocket than that 5 wt DS2 (if it's a 4 piece)... you just let me know.

That DS2 was my favorite rod for quite a while, until I left it on an airplane maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I did learn a lesson -- on Monday flying back to CO from ME I remembered my flyrods, but I forgot my work laptop, which appears to be gone for good.

Pushaw, you know I bought that rod (583-4) for my grandson when he was about 1 year old. Got it brand new from a guy in Canada. The hope was that my grandbaby would someday take an interest in flyfishing but hockey got in the way. At 15 now it doesn't seem he's at all interested and as girls have now entered the equation it's even more unlikely. Anyway I've hung on to it as it's brand new and never had a line on it and also because it seems the DS model had fallen out of favor. Recently I noticed a new 583-4 sell for $240 on eBay so maybe they're making a comeback.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2019, 2:31 pm 
FFIMer

I disagree with a few things being said. I have owned 3 of the DS series, and they are extremely capable rods. I still fish the 5wt with a 150wt. streamer line for light fall fishing.

The DS only came in 2 piece as I recall and sold for $210 for the 5wt. and $230 for 7 and 8 weights with the fighting butt.

This all being said, the bottom end Sage rod (made in America at the time) was as nice or nicer than most of their competitor's entry rods of the era (Temple Fork, Orvis, Redington, etc.)

I have beat my DS to death inside my drift boats and it is the one rod that never seems to fail me; a testimony to the original build quality. It is NOT slow, but mid-flex, and would make a fantastic back-up for $100 and a GREAT small-mouth rod.

"Orvis never made a great fly rod......on purpose" -Rick Ruoff

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 10:57 am 
FFIM Addict

Anchorman wrote:
The DS only came in 2 piece as I recall and sold for $210 for the 5wt. and $230 for 7 and 8 weights with the fighting butt.

My DS 583-4 is a 4 pc.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 11:18 am 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
Anchorman wrote:

My DS 583-4 is a 4 pc.

I stand corrected. The shop I worked in only sold the 2-piece DS. The LL and eventual VPS line were sold in 4 sections, as well as the SP, SP+ RPL & RPL+. Damn, a lot of nice memories thinking about these rods and the times fishing with them...

Dryflie: I am curious about the designation 583-4? was it a 5wt. 8' 3" in length?

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 6:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

Anchorman wrote:
dryflie wrote:
Anchorman wrote:

Dryflie: I am curious about the designation 583-4? was it a 5wt. 8' 3" in length?

Yes that's true. It's odd for sure and makes make one shake their head.