FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2019, 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2019 so far
PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 9:18 am 
FFIM Addict

All......

I’m not a fish counter, and I don’t record a record of every fishing trip I take, but I’m quite certain this will be accurate. Some guys will write in these boards “ by this date ( insert date) last year I’d landed 727 trout, and this year I’ve only landed 257”, or some such numbers. I have no interest in doing anything like that.

This has been, by all accounts, my worst fishing year in at least the last 40....... that’s 1979 for those of you math-challenged folks.

The absurdly high water........the lack of hatches/bugs.......and my not getting out as often as usual have all contributed to the low numbers; but this has been an absurdly poor Fishing year......At least for me ( and virtually everyone I’ve spoken with). This being the Internet, I’m quite sure there’s exceptions to every rule.

While my Spring/ early Summer fishing has pretty much been a bust........our Western Trip is coming up in two weeks, and then Maine’s Fall Fishing might ( hopefully) make up for this lousy Spring. Thank goodness for fly tying.......my fly boxes are chock-a-block full to overflowing ( e.g. the thirty dozen PMD’s I’m taking out for six days on the Creeks ( yes, I know. ;-). ). I think it was Gartside that once said he’d continue to tie flies.....even if there were no fish left to catch. My sentiments exactly.

The Hex’s will ( probably) pop in the next couple of weeks. Get out there if you get the chance.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: 2019 so far
PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 11:51 am 
FFIMer

Hmmm. I guess I’m one those exceptions. I’ve had a great Spring. Challenging at times, but rewarding.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 2:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

My 2019 has been ups and downs. Due to the medical issues with Emily I haven't had the opportunities I normally get. It seems every time a different hatch was starting in CT I'd be back in Maine. Just as the Sulphers were beginning in CT I was in Maine. Came home for an appointment planning on 2 days and stayed for 2 weeks. She told me one day to go fishing, I had no gear. I always travel with my gear. That trip I thought I'd just leave it behind only 2 days. Went back for 3 days and had some other things to do down south and never got out. Back inMaine and the mid 80's to 90 and not into it. But I am leaving behind a rod, reel and some flies just in case I find myself in a bind again. One evening though I did go not more than a mile and a half and had some great action right at sundown. If the mosquitos hadn't been so bad I'd have gone back more evenings. But I shall survive to fish another day. Same way with tying. Last summer brought my gear back to Maine and tied a fair amount. Went back south this winter and it took 2 more trips to get things back down there. And haven't been there long enough to get set back up.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 3:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Holy s*** Dave
You losing that many in the bushes or to dropping. Thirty dozen of one pattern. Speaking of patterns here, I see a serious one. But one that even a 12 step program needn't be tasked to fix. But thirty dozen sheesh.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 3:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Holy s*** Dave
You losing that many in the bushes or to dropping. Thirty dozen of one pattern. Speaking of patterns here, I see a serious one. But one that even a 12 step program needn't be tasked to fix. But thirty dozen sheesh.

Ron

Yes Ron ( insert grin here).

I had an entire box of PMD’s that, somehow, got lost in a crevasse in the Jeep. I thought it was lost for good last winter........it had size 16’s; 18’s; and 20’s In 18 compartments. I thought some VERY nasty words for a while there.......so I went out and bought another dry fly box and went about replacing the 18 dozen that I thought lost in the ether for good.

I was about 12 dozen into it when, low and behold, I was rummaging about in the Jeep, put my hand down between the seats and the rear compartment, and said “ Son of a Bitch!”......look what I found!

Of course.....that 30 dozen is in about 15 different patterns and three different sizes. It’s not like I tied up 30 dozen size 18 PMD Sparkle Duns. A couple of dozen of the 15 different patterns and styles.......and I always tie up a few dozen for whomever I happen to be out on the Creeks Fishing with. This year I’ll have a couple of friends with me, and they may, or may not, have the size and style of flies that they’d need. Hence, my overkill. I strongly suspect if you asked Hutch or Parker about their flyboxes you’d get a similar answer. I know for a fact that those two supple flies for their entire party some years.

As always, my motto is “Be prepared!” ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 7:12 pm 
FFIMer

This spring has been off in the number of times I've fished for trout... I think only 5 times. I have been super busy at home and work and with the high water the time I had free everything was blown out. But those times I have gotten on the river the fishing has been spectacular, fighting and landing some really good native brookies. Not much dry fly action but a couple very good days nymphing.

I have fished for stripers way more then normal, and that has been good, but not great. Finding a handful of schoolies every trip, not huge numbers and nothing bigger then mid twenties.

I'll definitely take this endless spring every year, lower water temps and a longer spring fishing season.

Peter

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 7:18 am 
FFIM-aholic

I'm am down on numbers of fish and numbers of days significantly from last year. Up to about 60 days and no idea on fish numbers. I did have 4 straight days of decent striper fishing this past week-weekend and headed to WB on Thursday. WB in June was great. I'll head west in October again. I have been tying a lot of striper flies and have even tied a few trout flies this year- enjoying that.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 8:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm at the point where one nice fish a year means the year wasn't that bad, and I caught it last night at dusk.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 8:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Had a great time at the WB. Fishing was the least important part.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 4:47 pm 
FFIMer

Been an "interesting " year here. Way to busy with things that I would rather not be and also busy with things that I love ( kids). When I have been on the water it has been inconsistently and so has the fishing. I live 10 minutes from being on the Madison stretch of the Kennebec and have only been there 3 times. Once was early April and the other 2 times were in June. One day was top notch with clouds of caddis and rising fish every where. Not many big ones but i did get one 18 inch Brown on a dry. I did get into some Shad and stripers on the lower K and did well one day on the dead. I also fished in the Hendrickson hatch tournament in Malone New York and had fun with a bunch of guys I knew but it also made me realize how good we have things here in Maine as well.