FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 15th, 2019, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR.........Floating
PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 8:59 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Decided to float a favorite section of my favorite Maine river yesterday. The first thing we saw as we put in at the landing was the best blizzard Caddis hatch I’ve seen in Maine in 5he last decade. It looked.......really......like those blizzard Caddis emergencies we see out on the Missouri. Great......right? Uhhhhhh.......we’ll; not exactly. Not one rise. Not a freaking one. I thought WTH? They must be chowing down on the emerging pupas.......so I put on two different Soft Hackles as imitations. Nothing, nada, not a bump. I was flummoxed, but it was obvious that nobody was home..
....so we got back into the Hyde and headed off to greener ( we hoped) pastures.

Downriver a about a mile we stopped, and started seeing a few sporadic rising trout. I worked my living ### off, and was rewarded when a beautiful Bow took my E/C Parachute Caddis in #16. What a way to break in my new Peerless reel. It was singing that magical song as that female Bow took me three times into the backing. She took off like a Formula One race car. I finally landed her about a good 150 yards down the gravel bar. She taped out at an honest 22”. To say I had an adrenaline rush going on would be an understatement. I was grinning from ear to ear. That’s the kind of trout that will make your season. We take plenty of 18” and 19”..... but, honestly, 22”ers are damned few and far between.....at least for me.

I ended up at dusk far down river with a 20” Landlock scarfing down a #20 Olive Sparkle Dun. He jumped three times, and bent my BiiiX right to the cork. Finishing up with an entry into the 20/20 Club put an exclamation point on a great day.

We didn’t.......truthfully........catch many trout/LL’s, but the ones we did catch were damned impressive.
It was definitely not easy fishing, but working that hard and being rewarded for the effort by the fish gods makes for a very special day. When the snow flies in January and I’m at the tying bench I’ll be thinking of that beautiful wild Bow and smiling from ear to ear.

Get out there if you can. If only every month could be June. The water levels are ( finally!!) dropping into the wadeable levels, and the hatches are finally starting to take off. Life is good.......especially being retired, and every day is Saturday. ;-)

Dave M

Post subject: Re: TR.........Floating
PostPosted: June 18th, 2019, 2:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

That sounds like a pretty amazing day... I've had one very good day of floating this year, one skunk, and one mediocre. This coming weekend was blocked out for floating and fishing fun, what can be some of the best of the year, but all of our rivers are way high with ongoing snowmelt, as in flood warnings many places, so the boat is staying home.

Sounds like I should be in Maine this week and back West in a few weeks instead of the other way around.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2019, 2:58 pm 
FFIMer

Perhaps you drifted by my father and I fishing from a gravel bank?

Really tough fishing. The only rising trout were about 20 feet past my cast (or backcast limitations). TONS of food on the water. Caddis, mayflies, stoneflies, etc. but virtually no activity. We fished all up and down that stretch without a hookup.

Nice getting out with my dad for fathers day, but it would have been better with at least one fish...

PostPosted: June 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

733SUBDUCKER wrote:
Perhaps you drifted by my father and I fishing from a gravel bank?

Was that you and your Dad that walked in from the cornfield on the West Bank? If so, yes, we floated by you on the way to the deadwater.

I can’t say that it was an easy day, because it surely wasn’t. And, if one is the type of Angler that needs to rack up big numbers........ it would have been considered a meh day....Or worse.

Luckily for me I’m not a numbers guy. I’d rather catch a couple of really great trout/ ll’s Than a whole bunch of average ones.

I’m still smiling as I think of that Bow. Her pic is in the camera. If the picture came out good ( highly doubtful, as I suck at taking good fish pics) I might send it to Courtney or Foley to see if they can add it to this thread. We’ll see.......

Push........I understand runoff is peaking out your way just about now? The Bighorn just yesterday hit the 11,000 FPS mark. We’ve still got five weeks before we float it......hopefully she’ll be down around or under 4000 when we hit it.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 18th, 2019, 4:50 pm 
FFIMer

I guess I'm a shallow numbers guy. I think "1" would have been a pretty good number.The sunset and wildlife were beautiful, but it was hard to ignore the lack of fish activity.

Cant wait to get back.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2019, 5:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

It's amazing the difference that one good fish or even one fish period makes -- it makes a day, makes a trip, makes a season.

I'm thinking back to a time several years ago, almost this exact date in the year, fishing out near Crested Butte. I was in the high mountains and the weather was crummy by most standards, cloudy, cold, and drizzly and the water was high and cold, though not as high as this year. I decided to fish a small stream, maybe 10 feet across, higher up and hoped to rack up some numbers on little brookies, but I was getting the skunk, despite going through my boxes trying all sorts of different things. It started to snow. And then something magical happened. An 18 inch brown from who knows where rolled up on my foam fly at the tail of a pool, I sunk the hookset for once and landed the fish after a lively fight on a cane rod. It was the only fish I saw that day and might've been the biggest fish I landed that year.

For some reason, I seem to have a lot more one fish days early in the season. Maybe it's because I'm rusty, but I think that sometimes there's just a small number of fish that are wired a little differently than the others and are still looking to eat in 40 degree water.

I know nothing about likely conditions on the Horn, Dave. The Bighorn mountains were some of the only mountains in the west that didn't get a big snow, but I think most of that water comes off the Winds and part of the Absarokas and I think both of them got plenty. Plus, it's a big tailwater, so those tend to spread the water out, for better or worse. I'd like to think it'll have dropped pretty well by then, but I really don't know much.