FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 18th, 2019, 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR......Old School
PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

All........

Four of us headed out this week........even knowing the stream where we were heading was borderline wadeable.......we figured if we were careful (no broken noses......a la Foley) we would be able to get to most spots, which turned out to be the case.

When you have many 4/5/6 weight Trout outfits it can sometimes be difficult to decide which one to use on a particular day (NOT that I’m complaining;mind you)........so on this trip I decided to go Old School for the entire trip.

For the rod I used my Cecil Pierce 6 wt. Garrison 212-E taper rod; a Hardy Princess reel; Cortland Peach 444 line, and no, not a furled leader (Sorry Kat, Ron, and Al), but my own hand tied leader.
A Double Taper line, btw, which I only use on that rod. When I got it I tried every line from a wf4 to a DT-7........and that rod wants a soft DT-6. It just comes alive with that line.
I sometimes forget just how wonderful that Rod really is.......just freaking delightful.

The fishing, on the other hand, while delightful, was about as slow as I’ve ever seen it in primo time up there. Slow......to almost stopped.

While we took Landlocks and Brookies every day, we took nowhere near the numbers..... or size, that we usually take up there.

I did manage one (one!) LL that went a solid 19”.........a 17” er, and a few 15’s........but that was about it. The hatches were non-existent. Period. I never saw one Mayfly......and perhaps a half a dozen Caddis one evening. Very disappointing.

With the Dam screen now permanently removed for Alewive restoration, the salmon just boogie right through and (at least apparently) aren’t staying in the stream.......even with plenty of water for them, and a water temp. Of 58*

I fear for this fishery. We’ve already lost Shawmut.......I’ll be very bummed if we lose this one too.

On a more positive note........playing a 19” Landlock on a bamboo rod is so much fun it’s almost sinful. I didn’t get to pull a Hutch or Gussa and end on a good fish......even though I spent a good solid two hours after my last one trying diligently to end on a fish. No such luck.

The Skeeters and Black flies were BAD! I saw more folks with head nets than I’ve ever seen up there. I’ll put up with most any bugs of the Fishing is good........even fair......
But they were a PITA when the fishing is as slow as it was this week.

Hot fly (if indeed, there was one) was a #20 Flashback bead head PT.........followed by a Glo Bug egg.

I lost a **** load of small Nymphs......so it’s off to the tying bench. Get out there, but for gawdsakes have the DEET with you.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: TR......Old School
PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 5:46 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Serious year for bugs. Used more deet this past weekend than all of last year combined. Those damn skeeters held their position in a 10 mph breeze.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 6:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

It was a solid can and 1/2 of deet kind of weekend.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 8:02 am 
FFIM Addict

Speaking of DEET......I started off trying to use a cream with 30%, and the Skeeters just laughed at that. I’ve heard 5he “experts” (quote/ unquote) say that anything over 30% is a waste of money, but, at least apparently, they’ve never been up there at this time of year.

I had to go up to the 100% DEET Ben’s....And even that was borderline effective, at best.

Addendum: My SIMMS G-3’s that I bought in 2011 are now leaking......so it’s off to the store for a squirt bottle and rubbing alcohol to see if I can keep them going strong. I have a brand new pair of Simms Freestone zips that I could wear and just 5hrow the old G-3’s away, but the damn things are so comfortable, and fit so well, that I figure a little sweat equity might save them for another year. Even if that doesn’t work.......getting nine years out of a pair of waders is damn good. They don’t owe me a thing.

I laugh when folks say they bought a new pair of Brand B or Brand O waders......and they leak right out of the box. Waders are one of those products that you really do get what you pay for. If you don’t mind being wet for chrissakes buy whatever you want....
..but if you want to stay dry get a pair of Simms or Pattagucci’s. Surely, you’ll pay through the nose up front, but if you buy waders in 2011 and it’s now 2019...... and they’re just now springing leaks....

I guess they’re worth every penny.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 8:37 am 
FFIMer

Dave get a therma-cell. I didn't believe in them until a buddy lent me one. I couldn't stay on the stream last week without it!

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 11:20 am 
FFIMer

Love my Bean Kennebec waders. Super comfy use them a lot. Going on 5 years strong but probably just jinxed myself. I think they were $199 retail and around $150 at the outlet, but up to $269 now I see. I just can't justify $700 for a pair of waders.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 1:27 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Headed to the WB for the week on Saturday. Expecting to need multiple thermacells and cigars.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 3:41 pm 
FFIMer

Yes, all of the nasty biting insects are definitely bad this year. Recently, I have taken more ticks off myself, from turkey hunting, brook fishing, and fiddleheading, than I have taken off myself, in any other year. Two of my tick bites, developed into big red bulls' eyes; and I have been on Doxycycline twice, lately: 14 days for the first infected bite and 7 days for the second. Even though I had used repellents with 25% DEET, the tick bites were my fault, because I hadn't treated my outdoor clothes, hats, and footgear with Permethrin, for several years...so, in the last few weeks, I have been re-treating them with Permethrin, and that seems to be working. Thanks for the heads up, Dave, about the Skeeters at GLS ,and thanks for the reminder that Ben's is 100% DEET...as soon as school is out, the wife and I are headed "up-ta" our E.G. camp...with, of course, multiple containers of Ben's!

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 6:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

+1 for Permetherin - while the hugs are bad this year, nothing will ever compare to what I saw in Sweden (like Alaska) and my permethrin treated gear was a game changer.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 15th, 2019, 10:36 pm 
FFIMer

Agree that bugs were horrendous in the western part of the state last week. I've come to like the Simms balaclava thingy that's SPF 50 and insect shielded. When combined with their gloves, and assuming you wear a hat, it's a pretty good solution that maintains visibility. It's true that you can end up looking like an opera diva, but I can live with that. Head nets are a pain and tough to see through for my old eyes when the sun gets low. No system is perfect and nothing stops the incessant whining noise, but this combo helps me avoid melting my gear with too much deet.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2019, 6:33 am 
FFIMer

Interesting......A few years ago when I was arguing to keep Alewives out of the East branch of the St. Croix, most on this page disagreed with my experience and opinions.........
You'll get what you get on the West Branch, and my money says it won't be good.........
Bugs are as bad as I've seen in thirty four years of guiding over here on the East Branch too

PostPosted: June 16th, 2019, 7:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Growth rates have been on the decline in the West Branch system for a few years. It has been enough of a concern that DIFW cut the annual LLS stocking down to 9,000 fish. That 25% less than the stocking rate a decade or so ago when former regional biologist retired. At that point in time- the estimated annual harvest was around 10,000 fish (with the fate of the remaining 2,000 unaccounted for). Decreased stocking rates have a ripple effect across a predominantly stocked fishery- and the stream fishery is showing that decrease in my opinion. That’s not to say the decrease in stocking isn’t warranted to keep growth rates up.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 6:36 am 
FFIMer

Dave sounds like a good time even with the biting bugs.
Always nice to fish the bamboo. Going from an XP to boo certainly changes the pace.
Doing a super glue splice for a line I came upon a few things. I haven't done one for awhile.
A) Don't wet the needle to slide the line over it. The super glue is affected and won't hold.
B) I use to just put a short piece of mono with a loop and change leaders. This time I just used a leader and put a tippet ring on the leader. Now I'll just change the tippet, no more loop to loop connection. Even slicker than before.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 6:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

This thread is begging for some A/V content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsFNSl-zceI