FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 24th, 2019, 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Line control
PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 10:37 am 
FFIM Addict

Been thinking about this for years. What do others do with slack line between your reel and your rod. Say your stripping streamers, tending line when nymphing upstream as it's drifting towards you, fishing a dry on the drift.
I have always coiled into my non-rod hand, never liked to let it drift. Problem is when then going into a cast line sometimes gets snaggled when shooting/casting after drift. If the current isn't to bad at times if I truly concentrate on not coiling I'll let it drift, but most of the time out of habit I coil.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Line control
PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 11:17 am 
FFIM Addict

Coiling line is common for spey casters for the reasons you mention. The work around to your tangling problem spey casters generally employ is to size loops appropriately and to loop the line over fingers individually (one loop per finger). If you watch someone spey casting using this technique- they open their hand to allow the line to pull off as they shoot line. It takes a minute to figure out, but is pretty easy once you build the muscle memory in the hand/fingers. Doing such reduces water drag, allowing line to shoot further.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 11:50 am 
FFIM Addict

Hunter
I’ll have to try the finger trick. But that’s a lot of pre-thought. I learned at a young age coiling to throw rope as my father was a stickler for the water ski line not getting tangled. You couldn’t ski if you couldn’t tend the line. Problem gets worse with my silk lines versus plastic lines. They’ll form all kinds of funky sheepshankish looking wads.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 4:52 pm 

In a canoe, floating line is stacked on the water next to me--works great.

Try that with sinking lines and you are SOL. So I stack in the canoe at my feet, where it tangles on shoelaces, badly. Crocs work better, but who hikes into a pond in Crocs. The clips and weird doubled back straps on packs and tackle bags snag line like crazy when they are not all clipped into place.

Stripping basket on the beach, but don't use one in the fresh.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 6:09 pm 
FFIMer

I've got a float tube that can snag line everywhere. Zippers and buckles all over.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 7:35 pm 
FFIMer

I just let the current take it... with a floating line it only occasionally tangles. The only time I tend to have a lot of line out is when fishing streamers, and as long as you cast all of the line every cast it's not an issue. My problem comes when I am fishing streamers with a ton of line on the water and I start making shorter casts. That's how you get a huge rat's nest. With everything else I force myself to not keep a lot of slack line on the water. Occasionally I coil line in my hand when I'm fishing wets, but I always throw the coils into the water before casting.

Peter

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 6:21 am 
FFIM Addict

I loop the line in my left hand, about every 3rd strip...which makes large loops and then they shoot off my hand easily. I do not leave the line in the water when I need to cast long as it pulls and slows my cast- which a second haul can help with. I would say that when reaching limits, I gain some length by aiming above where my eyes fall..a higher cast can be a longer cast.

Hutch

PostPosted: June 15th, 2019, 10:45 pm 
FFIMer

I think you have to do what feels right. For me, in a canoe it's over the side to avoid paddle handles, boot tread, or almost anything. In moving water I've always unconsciously used the current to help me control my line. It helps when I'm tying something by adding tension to the line in my left hand and it helps me avoid wrapping it around my reel when stripping and casting. Maybe I've inadvertently learned to compensate for the drag when casting but don't ever feel as if it's a big problem. I actually think the action of the water on the slack line is one of the reasons I enjoy wading over fishing from a boat.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Yesterday evening I was casting a trio of wet flies and letting them swing. I thought of this thread and paid attention to my line control Anything of note has already been mentioned with the exception of one thing I found myself doing without realizing it.

That was lifting my line hand shoulder high when I made my final forward cast. I hadn't thought about it I just found myself doing it. Lifting that line hand from the stripping position - just below waist high - to shoulder level took most of my retrieved loops completely out of the water making it easier to shoot line.