FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 22nd, 2019, 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tackle Maintenance
PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.......

April Vacation for me means tackle maintenance for me. On this rainy, shitty, day I decided to get off my ### and get to work.

I Agent X’d two five weight lines, and three four wt. lines......And tied up five new hand tied leaders out to 2X. That way they’re all ready for tippets.

I did learn a neat new trick this week by looking at a Gink and Gasoline video. Louis Cahill was tying up Bonefish leaders with blood knots.......exactly like I tie up my trout leaders. Most of us that tie leaders lubricate the knots with saliva, which I’ve been doing for over forty years. He lubricates his knots with saliva........but keeps the knot in his mouth. That way if too much heat builds up that might weaken the knot he can immediately back off......
So the knot/mono doesn’t get weakened. A very neat trick. I tried it this morning with those five leaders, and it works slick as snot. I’d never thought of this. You learn something new every day.

All my reels are now ready for the good fishing to start. Only a couple of weeks now.......

Dave M

PS: It really is kind of amazing how many leaders you can tie up with only eight spools of leader material.......from .021 to .004.

Post subject: Re: Tackle Maintenance
PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'll get busy in a week or so. Most of my gear is in good shape but I Need to clean up lines and attach leaders. Also looking to tie some streamers and Big Stones for Mem Day weekend at the Eddy, pretty much the best working stuff at that time.

Been busy this winter on knives and now sheaths. Just sent a knife out to a friend in SLC. He kindly built me a nice new 6wt to replace old broken one.

New Rod
ImageMisty Morning by t3 r11, on Flickr

New Knife and sheath.
ImageKnife 12 by t3 r11, on Flickr

PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 4:35 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
I Agent X’d two five weight lines, and three four wt. lines

Dave, how long do you let your Agent X cure on your line before wiping or "buffing" off?

Rio recommends "up to 24 hours" for best results, which I think is a bit impractical. I do think I've noticed an improvement, though, when I've left it on for the better part of an hour before removing. Maybe I'll try leaving it on longer this spring and see how that works out.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Maybe ten minutes. Twenty four hours is very impractable. I was surprised how little grime I got off the lines

Dave M

PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 6:51 pm 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
Been busy this winter on knives and now sheaths. Just sent a knife out to a friend in SLC. He kindly built me a nice new 6wt to replace old broken one.

New Knife and sheath.
ImageKnife 12 by t3 r11, on Flickr

Beautiful knife!