FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Rod Deal
PostPosted: March 13th, 2019, 8:04 pm 

Orvis is now in the process of swapping out their Clearwater rod line - as we speak there are still a FEW old 9', 4 wt rods available for $154 - this rod is a great value at the regular price of $198 - I know I would be hard pressed to find a better rod at either of these prices - if you decide you want to shop these rods you really have to poke around hard on the website to sort out the old from the new, but it could be worth it - tight lines & think spring!

Post subject: Re: Great Rod Deal
PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 10:35 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks Brian! The 4 pc 10' 7wt makes for a nice, lighter weight striper rod!
https://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-7-we ... y-rod/4y1c

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 1:44 pm 

But wait, there's more! Orvis is also bringing on a new line of Clearwater reels, so there are "old" models available for small $, but like the rods, you've got to actively search the sale page of the Orvis website.
Recently, I've been having second thoughts about the Reddington Zero LA reel that I got last year - it's ultra light but the clicker on it is a little wonky - so I picked up an Orvis Clearwater 4/5 reel for $47 & they're still available - the reel is amazingly tight & solid - it's got a smooth drag and a nice quiet click going in and out - once again, I think it would be really hard to find a better value even at full price...
Also, if you're like me & have no use for a fancy drag, this reel comes with an exposed rim (Orvis invented the exposed rim), like all Orvis reels (that I know of), so if you want, you can just back off the drag all the way and palm the rim like your trusty, old C&P reel...

--

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 10:45 am 
FFIM Addict

That's a fantastic deal. The regular-priced clearwater is one of the best deals in reels in my opinion. I have a pile of orvis reels and they've all been great (though I have a CFO that has needed a minor repair for years and instead has just sat in a case).