FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2019, 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tying tools
PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 3:39 pm 
FFIMer

Good afternoon,

Happy almost-April-1st.

I haven't tied in a couple of years and have moved four times in that time frame. Now, I can't find my tool roll with scissors, whip finisher, bobbin, dubbing loop/half hitch tool, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for what specific tools to buy to get myself back in the game. I'd also be interested in buying something used if anyone's looking to get rid of anything. I never had nice scissors or bobbins so I don't know what to look for. Not opposed to spending a bit of extra money to get something good. Carpenter by trade -- I know the value of a good tool!

So, what are y'all using these days? I'll be tying the whole spectrum, size 22 midges up to 2/0 striper flies and togue jigs.

Thanks for your input!

Sam

Post subject: Re: Tying tools
PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm 
FFIM Addict

You can spend a small fortune on a great pair of European steel scissors, but Dr. Slick 4” Razors are almost as good........at about 1/6th the price. Good scissors are IMO, the most important tool
In the fly tyers arsenal

Dave M

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 4:41 pm 
FFIMer

You really have 2 options. You can go to local shop and buy tools, or you can go on ebay and buy. The ebay tools will be cheaper, but beware of junk. You can buy name brands on ebay like Dr. Slick at a cheaper price than your local shop, but then you don't get to enjoy your local shop (if you have one). These days, shops are rare because they have lost much business to the web and are closing at an alarming rate. You should let your conscience and wallet be your guide.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 6:30 pm 
FFIMer

I succumb to the instant gratification of online shopping as much as anyone. I do try though, to shop locally when I can. Lately, I've been buying stuff online from Rangeley Region Sport Shop ( www.rangeleysportshop.com) and have found their service to be exceptional. On one occasion Sue emailed me within minutes of my order to let me know that my purchase was eligible for a buy-one-get-one-free deal and asked how I wanted to proceed. They shipped the same day and I was very pleased with the delivery. Not many fly shops left. I feel like we need to support the ones that are.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 10:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I personally like the anvil midget scissors I have had for many years. I always have them in my hand as I tie.

From there, a couple ceramic bobbins and you should be okay. I consider the whip finisher, bodkin and hackle pliers to be commodity items.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 7:10 am 
FFIMer

Sam,
Call me I have plenty of excess fly tying tools.
Greg