FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 16th, 2019, 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Crib in Winter.
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2019, 1:58 pm 
FFIM Addict

Great Picture of the winter Cribworks.

Attachment:
Cribworks.jpg
Cribworks.jpg [ 612.88 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]

Post subject: Re: The Crib in Winter.
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2019, 3:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

Perhaps I’m showing my age here, but I well remember when Great Northern used to own Rip Dam, and three times per year they simply turned off the spigot (Memorial Day Weekend; July 4th; and Labor Day Weekend........andwe actually got to walk right up into the Cribworks to fish. The LL’s were all beat up from being bashed into the rocks of the Crib, but man oh man did we catch some cocker Landlocks.

I had to smile the other day when Greg said he fishes aRoyal Coachman dry ( or Wulff).......as about the only dry fly we could see was a Royal Humpy. In thatsworling water those white wings stood out, and we could set the hook. I remember trying to fish an Irresistible, and while we were getting plenty of hits we weren’t hooking up because we couldn’t see the damned fly. Going to the Royal Humpy solved that problem. Good stuff, Al.

Dave M

PS: It was a revelation to stand on the shore of Big Eddy and watch literally millions of Stonefly Nymphs heading back down to 5he water. It looked like the very earth was moving........just an unbelievable spectacle.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2019, 11:35 pm 
FFIMer

That river is definitely loaded with stoneflies, but I have never hit a hatch of them. I bet it could be epic.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 12:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Flyfish15 wrote:
That river is definitely loaded with stoneflies, but I have never hit a hatch of them. I bet it could be epic.

Stoneflies don't hatch in the traditional sense. they crawl out of the water and emerge on land generally at night. So you don't see a hatch as such. Adult stoneflies return to the water's edge to lay eggs and drink and they will also fly over open water and often drop as they are poor flyers, that's when they become prey.

On the West Branch we have tons of stoneflies and they emerge over long periods of time, we see them primarily on land generally under cover of some sort. We occasionally see them in the air over water. When that activity takes place we will throw some big flies and hit the water hard with them.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 1:11 pm 
FFIM-aholic

size 8 Purple Chubby, skated on the spey rod; just sayin....