FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 20th, 2018, 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 10:10 am 

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/news-events/single-release.html?id=815944

It looks like ME DIFW is considering some changes to Maine fishing rules that would provide more protection to native brook trout and charr populations from accidental introductions of baitfish. The rule making package for the 2019 rules has already had hearings, so this is something that would be developed over the next year or so for presentation in a future rulemaking.

This looks like a good idea and big step, but there will be a lot of detail to be worked out.

It sounds like some opportunities for public feedback will be coming up in the next few months. Hope to see some of you there!

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 3:17 pm 

A LOT more background on this. Based on two brook trout bills introduced in the Maine Legislature in 2016, the Department formed a "Heritage Fish Working Group" to address several issues related to brook trout and arctic charr conservation, including preventing accidental introductions of baitfish into designated State Heritage Fish Waters. That group has been working for about a year, and the Department's announcement, released yesterday, is related to their final report, which was sent to the Legislature's Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Committee today.

I don't see that on the Department's website, but will post a link when it's available. In the meantime, I do have it as a PDF file. PM me if you'd like a copy. Moderators, if there is a way to link an attachment, let me know how to do that.