FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another WB Report
PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 10:20 pm 
FFIMer

Long story short as I know many are trying to make weekend plans;

Water Temp: As of Wednesday in the Big Eddy, 66 to 67 degrees in the morning and 68 to 69 degrees in the evening. Upper river is about 2 degrees cooler.

Bite: great at times, terrible at others, typical LL Salmon

Hatches: almost not present most of the day with brief exceptions, evening hatch was better the farther upriver you went with fish very tough to fool until last 10 minutes.

Flies: For streamers floating smelt, for nymphs anything with red on them, and for dries a lot of caddis and mayfly variations.

Slightly longer version:
Sunday the water temp at noon was 70 in the Big Eddy so I decided to skip that and head up river. I know where there are springs so I fished the colder water and did quite well with a couple salmon breaking the 20 inch mark. Evening hatch was never strong but at least it was good for over an hour so lots of fish of all sizes were caught. Monday I targeted brookies, no huge fish were caught but it was good action with a dozen fish caught and many lost. I think this was because Sunday night was 35 degrees which slightly lowerd the water temp. But the water temp drop was gone by 11 AM as it was very sunny and even though the air felt cool it warmed everything it hit. We fished a few tried and true spots that were not fishing well so went up to the station and played around and rolled lots of fish there and even hooked a couple but did not land any. Fished a few spots in between that fish move into in the afternoon in the 14 to 18 inch range and that was fun for a while. Evening hatch was sporadic from 5 to 7 and the last 10 minutes was good with a good number of 16 to 18 inch fish landed. On Tuesday we slept in due to rain and first hit the station hoping to fool one of the big ones but again we rolled many and hooked several but landed none. So we went off to nymph some pocket water and we happen to hit it when the bite was on. Didn't matter what you tossed as long as it had some red. Fish took it at all levels but the bigger ones seemed to prefer it on the rise. At one point I hooked into a 18 to 20 inch brookie that would have been my best on that river but after having him inches from the net he took one last dive for a rock and looped around it twice and then went under it and broke me off. Evening hatch this night was weak despite the river running around 66/67 and the rain clearing out, but fish were still had if you went through enough flies and could tolerate the snubs. A lot of fish were jumping right out of the water instead of the typical dimple style rise. Wednesday morning we got up early and hit it hard and were not rewarded for the effort. Fishing was dead until about 8 AM and then it came on big time if you had a nymph on. This time both color and size did not matter a whole lot, but presentation did. Dead drifted nymph = small to medium fish and rising nymph = big fish. River temp didn't change much this day except for slightly warming as the day went on the further downriver you went.

So if you are heading up this weekend I recommend you spend more time in the water than in a canoe to help keep the stress off the fish. Also I recommend tough tippet. I was fishing 3x and 4x most of the time and getting the fish in as quick as possible. Sure the fish up there are leader shy when the the bite isn't on but we should do what we can to preserve that fishery. We did not do much with cameras as we wanted to spare the fish the stress so sorry I don't have much for pictures. One thing I got a picture of is a claw of a crawfish that must have been a monster of a crawfish. I will see if I can get it loaded later. Based on the crawfish I used to catch as a kid I would say this guy must have been at least 10 inches long.

Post subject: Re: Another WB Report
PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Quote:
I recommend tough tippet. I was fishing 3x and 4x most of the time and getting the fish in as quick as possible.

C&R good for you. I don't drop below 4X tippet unless it ABSOLUTELY necessary because below 4X you can't get fish in quick enough. A long fight translates to a build up a lactic acid in a fish that may swim away but die later. Play them hard and fast. If they break off and you were going to release them anyway - so what - at least you had the hook-up.

Post subject: Re: Another WB Report
PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 9:00 am 
FFIM-aholic

Mike Holt wrote:
Quote:
I recommend tough tippet. I was fishing 3x and 4x most of the time and getting the fish in as quick as possible.

C&R good for you. I don't drop below 4X tippet unless it ABSOLUTELY necessary because below 4X you can't get fish in quick enough. A long fight translates to a build up a lactic acid in a fish that may swim away but die later. Play them hard and fast. If they break off and you were going to release them anyway - so what - at least you had the hook-up.

Great points. I agree...as tough as it feels to lose a good fish, it really is all about the hookup. The tug is a drug, but the take is the cake!
I recently had a heckuva fish chase down a streamer and eat it, turn on a dime and bolt, and snapped the 4X like it was tying thread. A buddy later recommended 3X...more good advice.