FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Branch
PostPosted: September 9th, 2018, 9:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

Friday afternoon and Saturday I made a quick foray up to the W. Branch of the Pennoby. I hadn't been up there in at least 2 years and had never really spent time there other than usually just passing through. Is it just me or do the fish always seem most active on the other side than where you are. I started river left up towards the gorge. The wind was not playing to my favor and fish seemed to be rising and jumping river right. After spending time trying to keep from impaling my head as the wind blew my flies past my ears I decided to see if the fish were really just on the opposite side.

Once I got there it seemed I was correct in my observation. There were fish to be had and the wind was more manageable. It took a while to figure what they were looking for. Go figure a tan West Branch Caddis in 14&16 with a light colored wing. Also a 16&18 Bastian's Floating emerger in tan.

On Sat. after breaking camp I headed back up to the gorge. I had a good idea where I wanted to be but a couple other fishermen had beat me to it. Both were nymphing and the up river fisher was like a vacuum cleaner. Although I did, while watching from above, notice that many of his fish looked to be foul hooked. I went on above them and found a path with a belay rope going down to the river. Knowing this was a sign I took the plunge. Nymphing I did manage one foul hooked big ole chub. I headed back down river stopped to watch the other two. The downstream fisher had switched to dries and the upstream guy was still catching fish on nymphs.

I headed back to my car grabbed a sandwich and went to investigate a foam patch on river right I'd noticed. Had a couple of light hits and one LDR. I moved back down to where I had luck Friday and tried nymphing. I managed one brook trout and the biggest salmon of the trip. Both took a #20 bead-head black stone fly.

On my way home I came back through Kokadjo and Greenville. Saw a few Partridge and the only moose I saw were at attention on those signs.

On Friday water temp was 70* and on Sat. mid morning my thermometer showed 69*Hopefully this trend continues down and we get some more water. There was plenty there but the reservoir sure could use some help. And most of the brooks I crossed weren't helping much.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: West Branch
PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 6:27 am 
FFIM-aholic

Wow! You fish (or can I tie/find) #20 stoneflies? I never have seen them that small.

I absolutely miss the WB, EO and GLS, I was lucky enough to work up there in my younger years and enjoy them, but these days the trek is becoming disproportionate to the time on the water.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 8:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

My son and I were there Tuesday-Thursday. Water was high when we arrived on Tuesday ( 3200) and fish were willing. We fished dry flies almost exclusively for two days. Very few salmon- mostly brook trout and some very respectable brook trout to boot. Lots of fun to be back there. My first freshwater fishing since June.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 6:17 am 
FFIMer

Think I am headed up for a few days after this rain....
Thanks for the report

Last edited by kennebecfly on September 12th, 2018, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 10:36 am 
FFIM Addict

kennebecfly wrote:
Think I am headed up for a few days after this rain....

I am as well. Up coming weather is going to be nice.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 3:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Headed back next weekend.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 8:47 pm 
FFIMer

Heading up sometime in the afternoon tomorrow not sure if I will be bringing my drift boat or not. Either way I will be camping at the Eddy. It is supposed to be a pretty nice stretch of weather.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 9:20 pm 

Sounds like a fun trip Ron - I wish I could have been there...I'll be a bit downstream of there this Saturday - Good luck all!

PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 7:39 pm 
FFIMer

I will put a report up later but when I left Wednesday water temps in big Eddy were 69 by end of day and in the gorge it was 67/68. Not great. I recommend heavy leaders and minimize boat fishing as hauling fish out of the water is going to kill them. Fish of all sizes can be had but it took a fair amount of fly changes when the bite wasn't on.