FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2018, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 12:18 pm 
FFIMer

Hello,

I'm flying into Portland from Denver CO on September 21st for a guys trip and will be in town for 5 days. I'd like to devote at least 2 of them to doing some casting. I'm struggling to find much info on good streams and creeks to hit up within an hour or two of the city. Could anyone recommend something to me? Love to get into some brook or brown action if possible. Also, should I plan on packing my 3 or 4 wt or my 5wt or higher? Good fly shops?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Edit: I should be clear, not trying to blow any unmentionable streams, just general "check out this river..." is more than enough!

Last edited by Nick2016 on August 10th, 2018, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 1:12 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hi Nick,
You will struggle to find any trout water worth fishing within a few hrs of Portland in these dog days of August. It’s just too hot, and southern Maine is marginal for trout anyway. Basically seasonal fisheries for stocked trout...
But if you have an 8 wt or larger you have a good shot at saltwater action for striped bass, shad, mackerel, small pollack and maybe bluefish if they are around. Tons of fun, and since your landlocked out there in CO, I think you’ll find our coast to be very refreshingly enjoyable!
Tons of great spots up and down the coast.
How are things out your way? Love the fishing in Colorado! 8)
Edited to add...
If you have any interest in freshwater bass, there are good stretches of the Saco and Androscoggin rivers worth exploring.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 1:33 pm 
FFIMer

Check out the Royal, Presumpscot, Androscoggin, and Pleasant for starters. They're all pretty close to Portland. A 3wt and 5wt should do the trick.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 2:48 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Nick, I misread your post. Thought it said August 21 and not September....
Llapoint’s suggestions are accurate. Also Salmon and trout spawning migrations should be underway, so you might hit some nice fish on the move. Target streams that inlet/outlet of the deeper lakes.
However, at least in my estimation, We haven’t had a decent September for salmonids in at least the last 5 years. And the long range fall forecast is warm...

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 3:03 pm 
FFIMer

Sorry about that, tried to respond to your first post but apparently I didnt post it correctly...

You didnt misread, I forgot to specify the actual month I'm visiting.

As for Colorado, its been a tough year. No snow in the winter led to barely any run-off. Now we've got higher than normal temps and low river... bad combo. We've got four major rivers on voluntary "no-fish" restrictions. I live on the South Platte and have to target Smallmouth and Carp for the time being. We've been having to head up higher and higher to safely target trout now (mostly Cutthroat now), which isn't the worst thing in the world :)

I've never cast a fly in salt water... it looks amazing, I think its something I'll have to try!

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 3:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

That’s a bummer about the S. Platte. I’m out there for the Phish madness at Dick’s Labor Day weekend and extended the trip to get in some fishing. Can’t always get what you want...

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 9:53 pm 
FFIMer

I definitely agree with Maineangler.... the way the weather has been over here the last few years the third week in September is just barely cool enough for trout in the southern part of the state, and that's even questionable. I'd take his advice and bring a heavy rod, sinking line, and some Clouser Minnows and target stripers.... especially since you can not catch them in the Rockies. You should be able to find them in the mouth of every river on the coast and along the beaches. Hit me up if you want some more direction, or a fishing partner... I'm always down to chase stripes.

Peter

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 6:57 am 
FFIMer

Acupla locations are possibles. The Kennebec in Fairfield below Shawmut Dam and the stretch below the dams in Madison. Both are wadeable and are under 2 hours from Portland. Maybe some browns but no brookies.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 12:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’d take one whole day and make a drive north to the east outlet of the kennebec. You can get there in 2:45, you’ll be able to figure it out by looking at it, you will have company but will find plenty of water to fish, you’ll catch landlocked salmon, and you’ll see a pretty cool lake. All the namesble places closer to Portland are small, hit or miss, stocked frog water types. Bit of an exaggeration, but not really. And coming from Colorado, going to the Royal would be like a charcuterie expert getting some slices of balogna at the IGA.

On your non-dedicated fishing days, just blind cast clousers in the ocean from rocky points around greater Portland, or hit one of the beaches if you get a good report. You can make due with a 6 or 7, if you don’t have an 8.

Don’t waste your time looking for trout around Portland.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 3:53 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you all for your responses, I sincerely appreciate it!

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 6:48 am 
FFIM-aholic

Matt wrote:
I’d take one whole day and make a drive north to the east outlet of the kennebec. You can get there in 2:45, you’ll be able to figure it out by looking at it, you will have company but will find plenty of water to fish, you’ll catch landlocked salmon, and you’ll see a pretty cool lake. All the namesble places closer to Portland are small, hit or miss, stocked frog water types. Bit of an exaggeration, but not really. And coming from Colorado, going to the Royal would be like a charcuterie expert getting some slices of balogna at the IGA.

On your non-dedicated fishing days, just blind cast clousers in the ocean from rocky points around greater Portland, or hit one of the beaches if you get a good report. You can make due with a 6 or 7, if you don’t have an 8.

Don’t waste your time looking for trout around Portland.

You have a way with words..... :D

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 12:14 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Nick- Let me know when you arrive- I striper fish basically every day around Portland.