FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 26th, 2018, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DePuy’s
PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 6:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.........

A very good morning Fishing wise today. Not a lot of trout to the net, but did put a beautiful 17” Rainbow in there.......jumped several times.......on 7X........and made the little Hardy Feathwrweight just scream on several runs.

You can’t horse them in on 7X.

Water is a steady 52*......Hatch was fairly sparse PMD’s......not really enough to get the trout up and what I call “happy trout”, but enough to get them at least looking up.

Took another small Brown......broke off a couple more......pulled the fly out of a few more trouts mouths.

It really does take a couple of days on the Spring Creeks to get re-used to playing very large trout on tiny tippet and really small flies.

Hitting the Creek again tonight for the (hopefully) Spinner Fall. Probably #20 Rusty Biot Spinners followed by 18” of 7X and a #24 Sulphur Spinner.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: DePuy’s
PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 12:20 am 
FFIM Addict

Tonight was freaking awesome! Took a very nice 17” Cutthroat on the first cast, and continued taking Cutts intermittently all evening.

Interestingly......all took the #24 Spent Sulphur Spinner.

Finished up the evening with a 17” Cuttbow that jumped several times and made the little Hardy scream on 7X.

People often ask me why I come to the Spring Creeks......tonight is the answer.

Terry and I had doubles several times. He, also, was using that #24 Spinner I tie up. That is almost a magic fly on the Creeks.

Back to DePuys tomorrow morning early.

Dave M

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 6:03 am 
FFIM Addict

A fishing trip with internet access. Sounds rather cushy. Probably flush toilets and no blackflies. Probably get a full breakfast, not just pastry and cheeses also. The fish sound cool.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 7:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

Very jealous Dave....

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm 

Dave M wrote:
All.........

Hitting the Creek again tonight for the (hopefully) Spinner Fall. Probably #20 Rusty Biot Spinners followed by 18” of 7X and a #24 Sulphur Spinner.

Dave M

I am very surprised you can get good dead drifts on that rig on a spring creek. I would think with the currents I see on spring creek like water, 2 flies 18" apart would fall into different drift lines and give you all kinds of micro-drag issues.

For that reason, I used to often fish a tandem rig of a dry and a nymph or emerger at places like Shawmut or the Sheepscot, but never 2 dries. I figured a little drag wouldn't hurt on a subsurface fly.

Am I just wrong on this?

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 2:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Dave M wrote:
All.........

Dave M

I am very surprised you can get good dead drifts on that rig on a spring creek. I would think with the currents I see on spring creek like water, 2 flies 18" apart would fall into different drift lines and give you all kinds of micro-drag issues.

For that reason, I used to often fish a tandem rig of a dry and a nymph or emerger at places like Shawmut or the Sheepscot, but never 2 dries. I figured a little drag wouldn't hurt on a subsurface fly.

Am I just wrong on this?

A lot depends on whether your fishing the dropper fly dry or wet. I suspect Dave is fishing the dropper below the film, though weeds may prevent such. I know his beaded trico spinners were deadly on the Madison during the trico hatch we shared a few years ago.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

No....not below the film. On the surface.....but you do have to make sure the dropper is below the point fly, otherwise you will get instant drag.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 5:25 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Downstream drifts?!?!?! Blasphemy! That would have gotten me kicked off of the chalk streams in France. :D

But Jeff, it is a great observation, those glassy drifts where one fly surges out of control drove me batty!!!

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 6:05 pm 

Downstream drifts are not just blasphemy on chalk streams. Go back far enough and you could find rants here about "bowling for browns" at Shawmut from our old friend Corbo. :lol:

Richard--are you still out there and want to weigh in? :twisted:

As for me, it's how I present about 75% of my dry flies--when I actually bother to fish some place with current.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm 
FFIM Addict

I started fishing 2 dries this spring. I've watched fish trying to figure which fly they like. Kind of an eenie, minie, mo. Great fun.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 9:36 pm 
FFIMer

Corbo...never met him but on the few occasions I dead drift flies downstream I always say to myself or out load to the perp I'm fishing with "bowling for browns". Those threads were hilarious.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 11:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:

As for me, it's how I present about 75% of my dry flies--when I actually bother to fish some place with current.

I'm probably closer to 90% but that's because we're usually fishing from anchored boats in current. However thinking about my upcoming trip to the Green, which will be all wading, it probably will be more likely a case of slight upstream casts above, hopefully, rising fish.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 12:08 am 
FFIM Addict

Guys.....

WiFi is the 2000’s version of color tv in the 60’s. Every place we stay out here has WiFi.

Tonight was slower than last night......but much better than this morning.

That #24 Spent Spinner was good again. Mostly Cutts again......which is fairly unusual on this Creek, but finished off tonight with a beautiful 17” Rainbow.

If I recall correctly......Corbett didn’t bitch about bowling for Browns at the Mut......he practically invented it.

Off tomorrow to hit the Missouri. She’s at 6900 as I type this......I’d love to see her drop another 1500 FPS for the good wading and dry fly fishing.

No three weights there.......bringing out the Big Guns this is five weight territory.

The 7X goes back into the bag until the Acentrellas of fall.

5X feels like rope compared to the four feet of 7X we’ve been using.

Three more of our guys fly in tomorrow.

See you all in a couple of weeks. Will report in soon.

Dave M

PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 9:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

I love fishing two dries- Purple haze in front and little cripple on the dropper.... downstream drift.