FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fine Fathers Day
PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 9:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

My wife asked me what I wanted to do for Fathers Day and I said I wanted to fish. Since it would be a family outing we had two choices, hit a beach or go for a hike (stripers or trout). We chose the beach. As they set up their towels and chairs on the crowded oceanfront, I hit the nearby mouth of the river and instantly was into a schoolie blitz. The water was crystal clear and I saw several of the takes, which is so exciting. Half a dozen or so on a clouser in less than 30 minutes, 90 minutes into the rise. I thought, "well this was a great choice!"
And then it shut off. So I worked my way upriver and could see fish, but no takes. I watched a flood of tidewater and people claim most of the available space, called it quits and enjoyed a picnic lunch with the family and a nice long nap.
For the drop, I decided to hit some open ledges adjacent the river mouth, a place that has yielded many fish in the past. Not this day, however. 90 minutes of casting did not induce a single strike. I shrugged, content with the gorgeous day on a fabulous Maine beach and left to meet up with the family for dinner at a place in which the only good thing turned out to be a pint of Bissell Brothers unfiltered pale ale. For such a popular beach, I am always curious about the lack of quality food! Never a lack of quality taps however.
In typical Maine fashion, there was just enough daylight left to catch an intense sulphur hatch on a stocked water for my return trip home. Tons of eager risers and several nice trout to the net.
All in all a great Father's Day in the great state of Maine.

Post subject: Re: Fine Fathers Day
PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 5:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Ditto... exact same story, but my day was Saturday, ran with my son (5 yrs old)up to camp, spent the day on the water, and a full day of despair was abandoned, for the last two hours of the drop when we brought 8-9 healthy schoolies in the boat. My sons first stripers, casted, cranked, hooked and released all on his own after 8 hrs in the hot sun. He put in a mans day, and I drove home as a Proud papa, on a beautiful day.

That one will be hard to beat... until next weekend as he reminded me. Is it Friday yet?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

Post subject: Re: Fine Fathers Day
PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 7:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

Atta boy. Takes a lot of patience, a required characteristic!
I had hoped to give my kids a chance to battle a fish, but the initial blitz happened too fast and coincided with a rapidly flooding flat that I wasn't keen about putting them on.
Fortunately, we spend a full week on this beach later in the summer so opportunities abound, all in time.