FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2018, 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 11:29 pm 

Anotherg year, another dam, another fish kill. And this year at least one endangered Atlantic salmon was killed.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/06/01/outdoors/thousands-of-alewives-one-atlantic-salmon-die-after-orono-dam-drawdown/

Not to worry though, according to both Brookfield's "manager of stakeholder relations" and DMR Commissioner Pat Kelliher, because alewife restoration is going strong thanks to all the good work people other than Brookfield are doing to restore fish passage at other dams. Commissioner Keiliher, who leads the agency charged by the state of Maine with protecting and restoring Atlantic salmon, didn't even mention the dead salmon. Think a dead salmon--and you know if they found one dead salmon there were a bunch more that went downriver or got eaten by eagles or crows or raccoons before they were found--is just a "nuisance" because salmon recovery is going so well?

Think Joe Angler can try out that argument next time he kills too many fish?

"Jeez, warden, I know I got over the limit here, but the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture says the brookies are doing great in Maine. I mean, FFIM had that Save the Rapid Project with TU and a bunch of other folks, and the state bought Cold Stream just to protect the trout, and we're not running suction dredges for gold in our best trout streams any more, and we got that mining law so the headwaters of the Fish River won't get Acid Mine Drainage, and Maine Audubon and Project Share and Downeast Salmon Federation and a whole bunch of towns are fixing up their culverts,and look at all the brook trout in Baxter and the Allagash. And while I got a pile of trout in that cooler, I let a bunch go too, when I saw you was coming, and some them still had their gills moving. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, the 75 trout in my cooler don't really matter, can't ya just let this one go? I mean, it's more a nuisance than a violation, right?"

"And oh yeah, that salmon in the cooler? That's no big deal either. Probably came out the hatchery them damn federal meddlers run anyway."

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 8:04 am 
FFIMer

It's All About Timing Jeff...
:evil: As usual Brookfeild was right on time. I understand things need to be maintained but a draw down during spawning run's is unacceptable.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

The fishing community gave up a lot to save a few fish that might die after release. When I read things like this, knowing it will get swept up under the dam operator’s incidental take permit, it makes me wonder why.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 10:04 pm 
FFIMer

speaking of Brookfield a friend of mine said that Brookfield strung a line of buoys below Wyman ??? from the cement wall over to the ledge point on the opposite side of the river below the log chute. haven't been there to see it but he fishes there non stop so is a really good source of information, and tends to be spot on.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 9:33 am 
FFIM Addict

What's a returning Atlantic Salmon worth, just in federal investment? 20k? more? I get that those river herring aren't that big a deal. But that salmon most certainly is. "I had all the necessary permits officer, that salmon just ate my worm and died and I decided to take it home..."

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 10:44 am 
FFIM-aholic

When I was checked by the NOAA guy at Veazie last week, I asked him if he could implore Brookfield to stop sucking so much... This really is becoming ridiculous.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 7:49 pm 
FFIMer

pushaw wrote:
What's a returning Atlantic Salmon worth, just in federal investment? 20k? more? I get that those river herring aren't that big a deal. But that salmon most certainly is. "I had all the necessary permits officer, that salmon just ate my worm and died and I decided to take it home..."

I get the bigger picture regarding the Salmon, and I'm not quoting this to be confrontational, but those river herring remove phosphorus from the lakes (the results of people having to have beautifully manicured lawns) and take it with them as they return to the sea, so yeah,they are kind of a big deal too.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2018, 2:03 pm 
FFIMer

The river herring are an big deal because they are the base to the entire food chain. stripers, smallmouths, cod, etc. etc. they all feed off those little suckers. the more herring and alewives the better for everything else. for me the biggest problem with Brookfield is that they simply dont care about the fact that others use the river. power rights doesnt mean total disregard for everyone else who uses the system.