FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Montana question(s)
PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 1:52 pm 
FFIMer

thanks for the feedback folks. I know that my friends are headed out knowing that it is runoff season. they plan on hitting a couple of the tailwaters. Also plan on being armed with lots of nymphs and streamers as they know it will be runoff season, ( and were expecting that). I think it was kind of one of those things like "this is when we can get there so lets just do it".

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 2:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

A lot of people have that timing problem, teachers can only go at certain times for instance. In our case we never wanted to be out west in May or June or Sept, the West Branch area was too important at those times. So we focused on Late July and August.

This year a good WB friend asked me for suggestions for an August Montana trip. This is their first ever western trip. I ran though the river list in my mind for that time of year and immediately thought '' Damn too Hot''. Lots of Montana rivers close for parts of the day in August. He's a streamer fisherman and his buddy is a novice so choices were even more limited. My advice was to eliminate August if possible, hell they are both retired so why August. I suggested Yellowstone in Sept, it's less crowded and the fishing can be great. Nope, it's August, so we have pointed them toward the Green River where the ''A'' section stays cool all year long, fish will take streamers if need be and a novice also has a great chance to catch lots of nice fish, even in August.

Good thing about the west is you can pretty much find a river to suit your timing.

Last edited by dryflie on April 13th, 2018, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 9:46 pm 
FFIMer

July will be dicey but with the climate we are in now...it could stop snowing and be 80 degrees all of May. There are pleanty of opportunities regardless.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 11:01 am 
FFIM Addict

If you're inflexible on WHEN you go, it's nice to be flexible on WHERE you go in the west. On a handful of rivers, fishing is solid just about all the time. But on many rivers, you have to deal with runoff AND low/warm water. Being flexible on the where might mean 500 miles difference or more. This June there will be big runoff in Montana, I expect, while runoff ends early in southern Colorado. However, July might already be low and warm in southern CO, still on the high side in parts of Montana, and just right somewhere in Wyoming.

Since I have the luxury of driving, if I'm planning a fishing trip with buddies, we get the when and a couple of guesses on the where right, and then we set the final where a few days before based on what's happening with flows. I can think of at least one time where plan A was 5 hours drive north and plan B was 5 hours drive south and plan B resulted in just fantastic fishing, while plan A had been blown out with mud.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 8:54 am 
FFIM-aholic

check your PM