FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 20th, 2018, 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fall Trip Planned
PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 7:07 pm 

Best way to beat the shack nasties--plan a trip!

I've been tracking September airfares to Bozeman and they were starting to head back up. The cheapest flight I could find required I stay 10 days, but I guess I can take that. My wife and are planning 5 nights in Cooke City and 4 nights in Island Park. Cooke City will let me continue to explore the NE corner and give Dee Dee all the wildlife photos she wants. Island Park will let us explore the SW corner, maybe spend a day down in Grand Teton, and have a house of the shore of the Henry's Fork. (I may have to break my "native fish only when I travel" rule if I see those rainbows rising on the Henry's Fork.)

Hoping to hook up with Ken B and last year's Mainers on Slough Creek team for a day on the Bechler. Also hoping we finally get a year without fires. Last year the smoke was really bad.

The Baxter trip is also booked--6 nights on Kidney Pond. 83 days . . . . .and counting.

Post subject: Re: Fall Trip Planned
PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 7:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff......

I know you’re more into the whole native trout thing, and I do respect that.

However......you’ll be doing yourself a real disservice if you’re staying on the Henry’s Fork and don’t at least give a couple of days stalking those huge Bows. I freaking love the Fork. Huge Bows on light tippet and small flies. That much fun should almost be illegal.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 8:24 am 

Oops. Posted this in the wrong place. Moved to the post on eels where it belongs.

Last edited by Jeff Reardon on March 12th, 2018, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 8:43 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

We fished the HF for a day last year and at first glance, it's very overwhelming. However, once you break things down and focus on a pod of fish and a small section of the river, it's a bit more manageable. Still frustrating though! My biggest lesson at the end of the day was that we fished to the big rainbows wrong or at least I did. There was a massive hopper hatch going on and with the wind fairly strong they were being blown into the river to be consumed by some big rainbows. I tried stealth stalking from the banks but managed to get only one cast off before the fish spooked. If you were patient they would move back in after 15 minutes or so but became even more spooked. The right tactic was to wade out into the river and cast into the banks. At least that's what we told ourselves!

Looking forward to the September trip for sure. I'm hoping to convince my fishing partners to hike into Bechler. Big bear country but as they say, bring along at least one guy you can outrun when you go into bear country! This will be my third trip out there and hoping to explore some new waters along with fishing a few of my favorites too.

Ken

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

Even if I am less gimpy than last year, I will be the guy you can all outrun. :D

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm 

Hey Ken: I know we decided a guided float trip was out of the budget, and now that I've looked at what folks get, I agree. Found a place that rents drift boats for about $150 a day. Would you be interested in that? I'm a novice rower, so either one of my boat partners needs more experience or we need to be put onto beginners water.

Not sure if the rental fee includes a shuttle, or whether we'd need a vehicle with a hitch.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 1:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I'm in on whatever you guys decide - bring on the adventure! Agreed - casting to the bank was a better tactic on those rainbows. They don't get that big being stupid!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 8:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ken B wrote:
We fished the HF for a day last year and at first glance, it's very overwhelming. However, once you break things down and focus on a pod of fish and a small section of the river, it's a bit more manageable. Still frustrating though! My biggest lesson at the end of the day was that we fished to the big rainbows wrong or at least I did. There was a massive hopper hatch going on and with the wind fairly strong they were being blown into the river to be consumed by some big rainbows. I tried stealth stalking from the banks but managed to get only one cast off before the fish spooked. If you were patient they would move back in after 15 minutes or so but became even more spooked. The right tactic was to wade out into the river and cast into the banks. At least that's what we told ourselves!

Ken

It's really tough to fish Henry's Fork for just a day, even 3-4 days, if it's your first time. We were taught stalking out there but every time I found fish and tried to cast UP to them they spooked. Finally I walked above them and fished DOWN to a pod and hooked up. They are tight to the banks as the really cold water hugs the edges. Fun but tough place to fish.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 9:56 pm 

One of my TU colleagues who is now in NH spent about a good chunk of time between deployments in the 1st Gulf War and the 2nd Gulf War working for the Henry's Fork Foundation. I'll see if I can hit him up for some local intel.

He used to head to the Bechler when he wanted to get away from the crowds, so I'm already picking his brain.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 10:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
One of my TU colleagues who is now in NH spent about a good chunk of time between deployments in the 1st Gulf War and the 2nd Gulf War working for the Henry's Fork Foundation. I'll see if I can hit him up for some local intel.

He used to head to the Bechler when he wanted to get away from the crowds, so I'm already picking his brain.

Ask him to give you details on Wood Road 16. Some big Rainbows down there.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 8:10 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Al,

No question that one day isn't enough on the HF but still being a western newbie, I'm in the honeymoon stage where I want to experience as many waters as I can. There's so much water with so many fish! Doing the research is half the fun but it makes picking the waters you want to fish harder! More research to follow.

Ken

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 6:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

dryflie's suggestion of fishing down to spooky fish is spot on. I've never fished the Henry's Fork (someday), but when I've fished to the same sort of fish (big ones rising on western water that you and everybody else can see), this is the technique I've had success with. I do that and fish well out and across with a reach cast if I can alternate between fish above and fish below. Also, if you can, make that first cast count and don't mess with it. I have a buddy who last year or year before related a day of fishing on a western tailwater where he made exactly one cast all day. He went to check out the river, saw caddis in the air and spotted a big fish rising close to the bank. He tied on a caddis, got in position, made one downstream drift and hooked and landed a 24 inch rainbow. And then he hung it up for the day and watched another of our buddies fish.

I got fishing fever going and it's about time to get out around here. The weather may suck plenty of days, but the fish are hungry and foolish after a long winter and there are starting to be bugs to rise to...

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 6:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Hey Ken: I know we decided a guided float trip was out of the budget, and now that I've looked at what folks get, I agree. Found a place that rents drift boats for about $150 a day. Would you be interested in that? I'm a novice rower, so either one of my boat partners needs more experience or we need to be put onto beginners water.

Not sure if the rental fee includes a shuttle, or whether we'd need a vehicle with a hitch.

Jeff, an excellent river to fish if you want to try self drifting is the Missouri. Easy easy water. All kinds of boats for rent at reasonable prices (couple of years ago I think it was $125 for the day). So easy, you tell them the time you want to start and the boat is waiting at the dam for you. Load up and push off, your car or truck will be moved down river to your planned pull out spot. End of day You pull the boat up and jump in your vehicle then visit the shop to get you spare keys back. We did this for a couple of days each year and loved it. I had two buddies in the boat, both of whom were born on the coast of Maine and neither had a clue about rowing a boat (at least that's what they claimed). Over several years I was able to row just about every model of boat made and formed impressions on their capabilities. This would have been valuable if I had planned to buy a drift boat but that never happened. I can still bloviate for hours on the various pros and cons of different boats however.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 6:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

pushaw wrote:
dryflie's suggestion of fishing down to spooky fish is spot on. I've never fished the Henry's Fork (someday), but when I've fished to the same sort of fish (big ones rising on western water that you and everybody else can see), this is the technique I've had success with. I do that and fish well out and across with a reach cast if I can alternate between fish above and fish below. Also, if you can, make that first cast count and don't mess with it. I have a buddy who last year or year before related a day of fishing on a western tailwater where he made exactly one cast all day. He went to check out the river, saw caddis in the air and spotted a big fish rising close to the bank. He tied on a caddis, got in position, made one downstream drift and hooked and landed a 24 inch rainbow. And then he hung it up for the day and watched another of our buddies fish.

Pushaw, the fish I caught was also 24". I don't think I made another cast that day either. The fly used was a Gary LaFontaine sz 18 Duck Butt Dun, tied (perhaps) by Gary himself. He used to offer a service where you told him the river you were fishing and the time of year and he sent you 6 pairs or more of the flies he recommended. None of the other flies he sent us worked that week but the DBD worked once. Funny thing was our guide was totally surprised by this downstream fishing, he always cast up to fish. We explained our West Branch fishing from boats and our habit of drifting flies down to feeding fish.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 8:19 pm 
FFIMer

Just booked flights to Bozeman. $426. Heading into the Slough Creek and Lamar back country, (assuming we get the campsites in the lottery). Hoping to stay on Cache creek as well. First time out there and many thanks to you guys for the information here.