FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2018, 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 9:54 am 
FFIMer

Last week I shopped for a used fishing truck to replace my old vehicle. I found the vehicle I wanted in Saco, 90 miles from my home. I went to look at the vehicle and the deal stalled at a $4500. trade value for my old truck. For the next week the salesperson and I exchanged emails on the topic and on Friday the salesperson agreed to give me a requested $500. more bringing the trade in value of my old truck to $5000. I drove the 90 miles back to Saco only to find the Firestone all terrain tires that were on the vehicle, and featured in the website ad as a major selling point, had been swapped for a set of car tires. The original all terrain tires were valued by the car dealership in their paperwork at $780. The swapped car tires, through my own research, were found to be valued at $450. Simple math tells me that is a $330. down grade in the value of the truck. No one at the dealership told me about the down grade and would not even acknowledge there had been a switch. I had to point out the swap to the salesperson and her "manager" myself. I think most of us who drive logging roads know the difference between all terrain tires and standard car tires. I walked away.
I called the General manager of the dealership on Monday with my complaint. He claimed there had been another truck sold and the tires on the truck I wanted were swapped to that truck to close the deal.
That could have happened, but before I drove 90 miles someone should have informed me of the downgrade and the webpage ad should have been adjusted to represent the change. The truck is still on the dealership webpage with pictures of the all terrain tires featured as a major selling point.
There's something fishy in Saco! :roll: .

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 1:44 pm 

It's a shame the way 99% of used car dealers give all the rest a bad name...good luck with your search!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 4:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

If you were looking for a fishing car I'd set you up. Will hold 8.5' 2 pc rods behind the rear seat in their tubes. Maybe a 9' rod I've never tried. 2002 Volvo XC70 Automatically slows near rivers and fly fishing shows. Has seen plenty of water and back roads. Great in the snow not bad on gas comfortable and clean.(albeit a little Golden Retriever hair drifting about). New sticker last week. $1500. A mature mere 366K miles.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 9:27 am 
FFIMer

I think I've gotten to the bottom of what really happened concerning my tire switch issue. The dealer listed the all Terrain tires originally on the truck as having a value of $780. I valued The replacement tires at $450. The difference in price caused me to raise my eyebrows and make a big stink. I looked up the price of the original tires valued by the dealer at $780. and they are, in reality, only worth $550. Only $100. difference from the replacements. Their story is probably true. They did swap the all terrain tires to another truck. The problem is, the tires they replaced them with were probably something they had laying around the shop and are inappropriate for a 4WD vehicle. I don't think they would go to all the trouble of a tire switch, and risk loosing the deal, to make $100.
Under normal circumstances I would simply request that they put a nice set of all terrain tires on the truck and close the deal. Unfortunately , I have already called the general manager and given him hell. I feel the failure to deal is not on my shoulders. Had the price of the original tires not been inflated to justify the asking price of the vehicle perhaps I wouldn't have suspected wrong doing and gotten pissed off in the first place. Another factor in this situation is the 180 mile round trip I took to the dealer only to find the truck on the lot was not the same as the truck they advertised.
Oh well, the search continues. It's a long winter. I hope this saga has offered some level of entertainment for the reader.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 11:08 pm 
FFIMer

do us all a service by telling us the name of this "USED CAR DEALER " SAVE US ALL THE RROUBLE AND MAYBE SEND HIM A MESSAGE
THANKS