FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 22nd, 2018, 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: car keys
PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 12:17 pm 
FFIMer

I would like to take a minute to discuss a topic we are all aware of, that being spare vehicle keys. I was at Grand Falls on the Dead last summer. It was near the end of the day and it became obvious that the only other truck in the parking area had an issue. The owner of this $35,000 truck had locked his keys inside . The falls are 15 miles in from the nearest paved road. If he had been alone the owner and his friend might have spent the night. The solution to the problem was for the owner to borrow an old army surplus back pack shovel from me. The shovel was used to pry the door at the top edge enough to reach in with a stick and work the door lock lever. I just handed him the shovel and turned my back. I didn't want to be any part of what was going on. It worked. I'm pretty sure that door must leak now. Moral of the story- Put a spare key somewhere outside your vehicle. If you are fly fishing in Maine you can still find yourself in some fairly remote locations with no cell phone coverage.
The irony of this story is that the readers who agree with me already have a spare key planted. If you don't, you will probably have to get burned before you are convinced. That may be a huge pain in the butt.

Post subject: Re: car keys
PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 3:15 pm 
FFIMer

Not that it is any great idea, but I keep my spare on a lanyard around my neck as it removes issue of someone finding the spare inside the gas flap or on the tire. If I am fishing with someone else and we split up I give him the lanyard key and have the main set in my pocket.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 4:08 pm 
FFIM-aholic

There are many, many hidden places to zip tie a spare key under a vehicle...just sayin'.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 7:33 pm 
FFIMer

Very good advise Hatch. I too am one of those with "one planted". It has been needed and used only once and that was in my own driveway. :lol:

I used to be the stick em behind the gas flap before heading to the water kind of guys but realized that with some of my outings a spare key would be much wiser.

I stuck a spare inside the little plastic ziplock pouch we get with our hunting/fishing license then placed it in one of those plastic "spare key" magnetic boxes. It is fairly well protected and easily accessible to me but would never be located by another unless they were truly looking for it.
Sixguns

PostPosted: January 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hatch, you are absolutely right, having a spare key hidden outside the truck or car is monster important. one more very important thing THE FIRST PLACE YOU HIDE THE KEY IS WHERE IT HAS TO STAY, IF YOU MOVE IT BECAUSE YOU FIND A COOL NEW SPOT, YOU WILL NEVER REMEMBER THAT COOL NEW SPOT. BEEN THERE DONE THAT
DON

PostPosted: January 11th, 2018, 5:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hatch wrote:
I would like to take a minute to discuss a topic we are all aware of, that being spare vehicle keys. I was at Grand Falls on the Dead last summer. It was near the end of the day and it became obvious that the only other truck in the parking area had an issue. The owner of this $35,000 truck had locked his keys inside . The falls are 15 miles in from the nearest paved road. If he had been alone the owner and his friend might have spent the night. The solution to the problem was for the owner to borrow an old army surplus back pack shovel from me. The shovel was used to pry the door at the top edge enough to reach in with a stick and work the door lock lever. I just handed him the shovel and turned my back. I didn't want to be any part of what was going on. It worked. I'm pretty sure that door must leak now. Moral of the story- Put a spare key somewhere outside your vehicle. If you are fly fishing in Maine you can still find yourself in some fairly remote locations with no cell phone coverage.
The irony of this story is that the readers who agree with me already have a spare key planted. If you don't, you will probably have to get burned before you are convinced. That may be a huge pain in the butt.

OnStar is satellite based, not self phone. Ask me how I know... :roll:

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 7:01 am 
FFIMer

I have seen rafters using the key boxes that real estate agents use to hang keys on vacant homes, put keys in lock on tow hook or some other spot, unlock with combo. seems like a good idea to me. I have used all the methods described in post and have locked myself out of my truck. Not fun :cry:

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm 
FFIMer

I looked into the lock box idea..
and the one I looked at (Master Lock) nice but it does not fit a Toyota key :!:

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 9:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have one of these key boxes. It has been on the frame under my truck for years and has saved me a number of times. When fishing with a friend I show them the location in case they get back to the truck before me or, even worse, they get back and I don't :-)

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-PRO-3-Pieces-Plastic-Key-Holder-Magnetic/dp/B01M3Y32HZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516109505&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=magnetic+key+holder&psc=1

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 10:15 am 
FFIMer

kennebecfly wrote:
I looked into the lock box idea..
and the one I looked at (Master Lock) nice but it does not fit a Toyota key :!:

It may not fit a standard key with a FOB attached, but you can get a key cut that only unlocks the doors. I did that at the cost of $4 over the $150 for a key with a chip to start my Jeep. Granted it does not help if you loose your key, only if you lock them inside. I don't have a lock box, I just duct-taped it underneath somewhere... which I have forgot the exact spot as I locked my keys inside it in my driveway a couple weeks ago. Spent 10 minutes looking in all the spots I thought I hid it. I have a lockbox outside my house to save me from those mistakes.

Peter

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 12:44 pm 
FFIMer

I used to hide back-up keys on all my previous vehicles; I don't anymore. I now have keyless entry on my F-150, and I love it...I just have to push in four programed numbers, and it opens. I give everyone I hunt and fish with the combination in case they need to get into my truck before me. I hope any vehicle I get in the future also has this system because it is so convenient and so foolproof...well, almost foolproof, anyway...as long as I don't have a dead battery or as long as I don't forget the combination :roll:

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 9:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

I NEVER bring my keys with me to the water for fear I will drop them somewhere. Always hide them in the same place and anyone with me knows where that is. Been pretty fool proof so far. Not sure anyone wants to steal that truck anyway!

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 11:09 am 
FFIMer

Mike Holt wrote:
I have one of these key boxes. It has been on the frame under my truck for years and has saved me a number of times. When fishing with a friend I show them the location in case they get back to the truck before me or, even worse, they get back and I don't :-)

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-PRO-3-Pieces-Plastic-Key-Holder-Magnetic/dp/B01M3Y32HZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516109505&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=magnetic+key+holder&psc=1

I have used this same box for about five years. I took the key out this summer to see if it was still any good and it had no rust but was a bit dusty. I would give it five stars.

The reason I took it out was to get a third key made so my hunting buddy could also carry one. Never made the damn key and now the spare key is lost. Should have left well enough alone.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 9:06 am 
FFIMer

I just keep a spare in my left front pocket. Always have.