FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 6:43 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

So, I have to make a trip to the Cape - I'm not fond of the Cape but love my wife so I'm giving up a weekend of deer hunting and will try and sneak in some fishing. We are staying in Dennis - any thoughts on where to go? I'm guessing there are still stripers around.

Ken

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 9:05 am 
FFIM Addict

No idea, but you’ll be within striking distance of Kreme and Kone.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 10:56 am 
FFIM Addict

No idea about the Cape either in November, but I was in Rhode Island not far from the Cape two weekends ago and there were A LOT of fish swimming by the house I stayed at. From the looks of some of the fish busting not to far off shore, it looked like there may have still been some albies around. Lots of folks in boats, but most were arriving late and putting the fish down. After watching fish for two days out the window, one of my hosts handed me a spinning rod and I managed a few dozen schoolies on a rubber shad off the rocks in front of their cottage.

I'll be heading back down next fall with fly gear en tow.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 2:05 pm 
FFIMer

Ken,

There are some very good trout ponds with stocked rainbows that get quite large. Nickerson State park might be the place if I remember. Loot of years ago, but they used to keep them open right through the fall. Noone will be fishing them and those rainbows are big.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 11:07 pm 
FFIMer

Here's latest CC report from On The Water, published today.
Good Luck

Vinyard Blues

http://www.onthewater.com/forecasts/201 ... er-2-2017/

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 7:27 am 
FFIM-aholic

Call Paul - he's had fish in front of his house - they're there. Buy him some beer and maybe you'll get a boat ride too. No - not PBR! Also - given your deer hunting results, you're just giving up a walk in the woods..... :P Devils Purse brewing is not too far from where you're staying, the Cape is beautiful this time of year!

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 7:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

Ken- Scussett, Barnstable, Bass River, southside beaches. Also check out striperonline.com for the latest MA info.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 8:19 am 
FFIM Addict

That On the Water report says bait shops stock green crabs. I know they’re all over the place, but really?

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 8:57 am 
FFIM Addict

Matt wrote:
That On the Water report says bait shops stock green crabs. I know they’re all over the place, but really?

Hell, earthworms are as invasive as you can get and they've been selling 'em for years.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 1:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

You could always spend time with your wife.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm 

1weight wrote:
You could always spend time with your wife.

Why? Does she fish? Can she drive the boat or tie flies? :wink:

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 8:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

I forgot that Rory plants Japanese knotweed next to his hot peppers, just to make a point.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 10:29 am 
FFIMer

I lived in Mansfield, Ma 25 years ago and fished the Kettle Ponds on the cape quite a bit. To do that effectively you'll need either a pontoon, float tube or canoe. I had a good book that about fishing Massachusetts that listed many of the ponds but bequeathed it to my brother when I left. I truly can't remember the names of the ponds I was fishing back then.

The linked article which mentions that fishing into December is solid and names a few of the ponds reminds me that I fished Grews Pond a few times. Flies are pretty simple. Small black bugger about 2-3 feet under the water or if you have any, I'd suggest the Coffeys Sparkle Minnow. I use them on ponds, rivers and streams out here and tear it up. Size 8 smoke colored must look like a small whitefish and the peacock color works very well too. When I fish them on lakes I put a small split shot on and always use a loop knot. I've linked a simple loop knot below that works well for me.

10" of fresh snow out here, so much for chasing fish this weekend. Heading to FLA on Thursday to chase Redfish for 11 days.

Good luck to you!

http://www.onthewater.com/kettle-pond-trout/

http://www.animatedknots.com/nonslipmono/#ScrollPoint

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 5:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

Matt wrote:
I forgot that Rory plants Japanese knotweed next to his hot peppers, just to make a point.

No peppers, no knotweed. Fantastic tomatoes and a couple of unbelievable pot plants this year, though.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 5:19 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Ohhh, the times they are a changing... i know what peppers and pot are... knotweed?

+1 on loop knots on streamers. I think they have increased the productivity of my favorite streamers by 25%.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau