FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid-Week TR
PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 2:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

All........

Too nice a day today to sit in and tie flies. Headed Downeast to a favorite stream. Using Hutch’s theory of wildlife providing a window into the fishing I saw about 60 turkeys, three deer, but no Moose.

The water is finally (!!) starting to cool off. It was down to 59*. Still too warm for the blizzard Tiny BWO’s, but a few were dribbling off. The wind was howling in off the lake. For the first time this year I had to put on my gore-Tex windbreaker just to keep my teeth from chattering.

I can’t truthfully say the Fishing as anywhere near fast........

But I did manage to get a really fine 18” Landlock into the net. A nice hook jawed male.......and thick.

I long line released another one, not quite as big.

The one that didn’t make it to the net took either a #20 PT bh or a #20 Red Brassie.

The one that made it to the net took a #4 Fishhead Gartside white Soft Hackle Streamer. That might just be my favorite streamer. Works gang-busters......and pig-simple to tie them up.

Heading to Moosehead all next week.......and this particular stream closes in 9 Days........so it looks like my Downeast season is over.

I really believe if DIFWis serious about getting Anglers into decent fall fishing they have to extend the season by three to four weeks. It’s just been more like August or very early September for most of this fall so far. Get out there if you get the chance.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Mid-Week TR
PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 6:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

Bwo's are a fickle lot. I've seen unbelievable floatillas of tiny sailboats on intermittent overcast days, and other days with similar conditions without a bug on the water. Calm wind has been a key for me having success catching a bwo emergence. I'm hoping to still get on the water for a drift or two this fall, and hope to catch a bwo hatch, the schedule is just full with non-fishing related stuff. :(

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm 

Dave M wrote:
All........

The one that made it to the net took a #4 Fishhead Gartside white Soft Hackle Streamer. That might just be my favorite streamer. Works gang-busters......and pig-simple to tie them up.

Dave M

That is NOT a Gartside soft hackle, and Jack himself is rolling in his grave that you called it one. I once stopped to talk to Gartside at the Marlboro show, and told him how much I liked fishing and tying his soft hackle streamers in both salt and fresh, and then made the mistake of telling him that a cone head version worked really well for pond fishing off ledges.

"If that fly has weight on it, it is NOT my fly. If I wanted to tie a ****ing jig, I would have tied a ***ing jig."

I waited for him to finish and wink, but he was still ranting when I walked away, somewhat afraid for my safety.

A true character and a cranky SOB--but a great fly designer.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 7:33 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Dave M wrote:
All........

Dave M

That is NOT a Gartside soft hackle, and Jack himself is rolling in his grave that you called it one. I once stopped to talk to Gartside at the Marlboro show, and told him how much I liked fishing and tying his soft hackle streamers in both salt and fresh, and then made the mistake of telling him that a cone head version worked really well for pond fishing off ledges.

"If that fly has weight on it, it is NOT my fly. If I wanted to tie a ****ing jig, I would have tied a ***ing jig."

I waited for him to finish and wink, but he was still ranting when I walked away, somewhat afraid for my safety.

A true character and a cranky SOB--but a great fly designer.

Jeff.......

I don’t believe I’ve ever tied a Gartside Soft Hackle without either a cone head or a fish head. I’m well aware of what Gartside said about the fly he invented, but I believe he was wrong. Putting a cone head or the newer fish heads on this pattern improves it by orders of magnitude.
I appreciate what the inventors of various patterns do, but I’ve never, as a tier, felt that I’m a slave to their pattern. I tweak patterns to suit my needs.......and, frankly, I don’t give a flying fig what Gartside thought while he wa alive.

I’m still going to call this pattern a Gartside Soft Hackle.....but I can call it a Dave’s Soft Hackle if some prefer it to be called that. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 7:51 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have found them to work in all fashions,,, my preference is unweighted on a sink tip, but have done well with a bead and also with clauser eyes, wrapped in the twisted but ends of the marabou.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 7:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice report.
I agree that the gartside soft hackle is one of the best streamers ever invented. Simple and very effective. I have never used weight on the fly though. I like to aggressively rip them across the surface on a floating line or let them sink on a weighted line and rip them deep.
If I want a jigging marabou streamer, I just use a bead/cone head bugger.
I do agree as well that fly pattern recipes are a suggestion and free to be improved upon by the tier. Inventors who get offended by tweaks probably need to see their therapist more often.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 8:27 am 

I tie them both weighted and unweighted, and my enjoyment of fishing them is enriched by an encounter with the cranky guy who originated the (unweighted) pattern.

Anyone who looks into my fly boxes will quickly know I'm no slave to original patterns.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 8:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

One thing i forgot... in addition to the traditional white with natural mallard, i have done really well putting a red hen collar in front of the mallard.

Equally, I have done great with baby blue, and pink mallard (smelt), Black Marabou with red mallard, and olive green with purple mallard. The blue is a spring pattern, the other two are high water fishers.

Obviously those who tie them, know the importance of pushing back the fibers as you tie in the marabou... anyone have a good secret for preventing the inevitable impaling of fingers on the hook? Of course i could slow down.... ;)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 8:58 am 
FFIMer

Love that pattern in light gray with a few strands of blue crystal flash. I'm planning to be on that stream for the last few days.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 3:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yellow. That pattern is killer in yellow w/ woodduck fibers. I also will be on that water- with adjusted expectations.

Hutch

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 5:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hunter wrote:
Bwo's are a fickle lot. I've seen unbelievable floatillas of tiny sailboats on intermittent overcast days, and other days with similar conditions without a bug on the water. Calm wind has been a key for me having success catching a bwo emergence. I'm hoping to still get on the water for a drift or two this fall, and hope to catch a bwo hatch, the schedule is just full with non-fishing related stuff. :(

If you’re looking for a rower for that drift give me a call. I love bank banging big streamers before that BWO emergence.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 6:28 pm 
FFIMer

In my experience the only SHS you need is light tan/maple colored with natural mallard, fished on a floating line. This combo has brought me every single salmon over 20" that I have ever caught, including a bruiser of a male last fall that went all of 23". I tie a few other colors, slate gray, white, olive... but always reach for the tan ones when it comes time to tie one on.

Peter

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 7:20 pm 
FFIMer

Oh, and I only use with red thread....

PostPosted: October 13th, 2017, 3:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

Great minds think alike... ditto on the read thread... it adds a touch, even when i don't use Red Hen for a collar.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2017, 1:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M wrote:
Hunter wrote:

If you’re looking for a rower for that drift give me a call. I love bank banging big streamers before that BWO emergence.

Dave M

You're on. I'm just not sure of when.