FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27th, 2017, 9:34 pm 
FFIMer

I'm looking for recommendations on a waterproof point shoot camera for nice fish pics both above and below water. Also shock, dust, and freeze proof for waterfowl shots. Hoping for the $300 range.

I was looking at the olympus tg 860.

Thanks

PostPosted: September 27th, 2017, 10:59 pm 

I'll check with Dee Dee on the point and shoot we have. It's bombproof, water proof, takes underwater pics. We've had it a while, so it may have been replaced by a newer model. It's an Olympus--this seems to the closest thing in their current line up, well within your price range.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/tough/tg-5.html

But does your smart phone have a decent camera? My Iphone--with a Lifeproof case that lets me take underwater shots near the surface--takes pictures that are as good or better as any point and shoot I've owned.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 1:27 am 
FFIM Addict

I have a Pentax Optio that works very well. It's the second Pentax I've owned. Both have been flawless. That being said I have to agree with Jeff on the IPhone and Lifeproof case. Although I am a bit Leary on putting my phone under water.
Only downfall with Pentax is they take a flat square battery vs many that take AA batteries. When going on our Lab trips I had purchased a couple spare batteries and would recharge when in the truck.
Photo quality on both nearly the same depending on your skills and wishes.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 4:00 am 
FFIMer

Check out Nikon and Fujifilm also. They have decent waterproof cameras that fit your budget.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 6:57 am 
FFIMer

My phone takes great pics but I feel like I'm pushing my luck!

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 5:08 pm 
FFIMer

I have a Olympus Tough TG 820.. Waterproof to 30 feet, Shockproof takes really great photos. I have had it for a few years now, its pretty much foolproof It came with a removable float strap which is handy in the boat and pontoon,and it also takes HD Video. Its always with me on the water.

Attachments:
PA300063.JPG
PA300063.JPG [ 144.83 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

Last edited by kennebecfly on September 28th, 2017, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 5:09 pm 
FFIMer

733SUBDUCKER wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations on a waterproof point shoot camera for nice fish pics both above and below water. Also shock, dust, and freeze proof for waterfowl shots. Hoping for the $300 range.

I was looking at the olympus tg 860.

Thanks

I have the TG-4 and have been VERY impressed with it. Better pic quality than my Fuji or Nikon's.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 7:45 pm 
FFIMer

kennebecfly wrote:
I have a Olympus Tough TG 820.. Waterproof to 30 feet, Shockproof takes really great photos. I have had it for a few years now, its pretty much foolproof It came with a removable float strap which is handy in the boat and pontoon,and it also takes HD Video. Its always with me on the water.

x2

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 6:51 pm 
FFIMer

I've used my phone in a waterproof case, but if your hands are wet you can't do much on the touchscreen.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 12:00 pm 
FFIMer

I have an Olympus TG-3 and love it, but any hand held camera has one major drawback. Try video taping a fight while trying to retrieve the line, especially a tarpon ( I live in Florida now).

Solution is the GoPro Session Five with either the head mount strap rig or chest strap rig.

Voice co trolled tp boot.

I now use the GoPro almost exclusively.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 2:08 pm 
FFIMer

I HAVE A SONY ACTION CAM I USE ON MY HEAD. IT TAKES 1080 VIDEO AND HAS BEEN AMAZING.

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES.