FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rod Repair?
PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:28 am 
FFIMer

I have a older Sage DS 2 graphite fly rod. 5wt. ,8/6" . The cork handle is in pretty sad shape! Need a replacement put on! does anyone know someone who works on fly rods and can do this? I contacted Sage a month ago and have not gotten any response back! :(
I am located in Gorham, Maine. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Rod Repair?
PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 12:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

Very unlikely, as in not a chance, that Sage will help with a new grip. Lots of guys can do this, I could do it. It's quite easy but it will cost you either a new reel seat or a new guide or two (depending on the number of guides on the lower section. If I were doing it I'd take the guide(s) off and then cut the old grip off. Slide a new grip on and then remount the guides. At the same time if you wanted a new reelseat this would be the time to upgrade.

Keep asking around, you'll find someone.

Oh, BTW, I have that exact rod, brand new never cast. Still with the plastic on the handle. In a tube somewhere or I'd go count the guides.

Last edited by dryflie on July 17th, 2017, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm 

He's not exactly local, but Galen Hachey in Veazie would do you a good job - here's a link to his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hacheys- ... 3735377028

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 10:25 pm 
FFIMer

Super , Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 11:25 am 
FFIM Addict

Speedo,

The other option always is to do the job yourself. There are tons of great Utube videos that show all aspects of rod work. One can get remade grips that you can mount yourself. And guide wrapping isn't as hard as one might think. And if a mistake is made it can be undone and reworked.

I just finished replacing a ferrule on a rod I assembled. At the time I first chose the thread color I wanted a dark brown tipped with light wraps. I didn't like the color scheme. I redid the butt and mid sections quite a while ago. I finally re-wrapped one of the tips. About half way through I ran out of the main wrapping thread. I matched up the colors and continued, with my double thread tipping scheme (a clove hitch) I began the varnishing. After one coat I erred and nipped one tipping wrap to short and had to do a redo. Then I noticed that my main thread color was a shade darker than my previous wraps. So now I'll have to cut everything off and start over on half the guides.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for some insight Ron! However, i do not trust myself and I love that rod too much! I just sent it off to Galen Hachey! He told me no problem on cork handle, he deals /repairs sage rods all the time. Not sure on price yet , he has to order handle and look at rod! All in at this point! :D

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 5:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

This is great! Thanks for the thread Speedo and thanks for the link Brian. I have a very sentimental old Sage RPL that needs some work and sounds like I have found the man for the job!

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 12:37 pm 
FFIMer

www.annikarodandfly.com/ He did a great job putting some guides on my Sage.

Steve M.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 9:30 am 
FFIMer

Sage Rod just came back and it is Beautifully repaired! New reel seat and Handle! waiting for glue to dry another week before using! Very impressed on workmanship! Galen Hatchey is the man for rod repair in Veazie, Maine. Recommend highly! :)