FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 23rd, 2017, 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waders.....
PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 12:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

......my Simms Freestone Zips finally ####the bed, after six seasons of hard use.

I have no idea if they're salvageable or not, so into the wash on gentle cycle, to be cleaned, packed up, and are being sent back to Bozeman. Perhaps Simms will be able to repair them, perhaps I'll have to open up my wallet, let the moths out, and spring for new ones.

Nothing, especially waders that see hard use, last forever.

I don't like to spend money foolishly, but I firmly believe that paying for quality actually is more cost-efficient in the long run.

I'd like to think that if these aren't salvageable I'll definitely go with Simms again.....but I absolutely will not throw $800 at a pair of G4 Zips. For about half of that the Freestone Zips lasted me six years. I wonder how many more years I'd get out of the $800 ones. Not twelve, I'd just about guarantee that.

I almost always wait for sales and close outs on gear......because while I always opt for the absolute best quality I can afford......I abhor paying retail prices because I know damned well how ridiculously marked up companies retail prices are. I guess I'll go with the old G-3 Guides for now, while waiting to hear back from Simms on the Zips.

I'm well aware that some guys/Gals get a dozen or even fifteen years out of their waders, but they don't fish as much as some of us do.

On another note.......all of my fly rods are high end Winstons, Sages, And Scotts.......and I end up paying about half of retail on them......so I don't feel the least bit of angst about using the high end stuff......even on retirement benefits.

Just got back from a trip upcountry......and while the mosquitoes, black flies, and no see ems are horrendous......the Landlocks ARE biting also......if one is willing to go down and nymph them up. Get out there folks.......it's June in Maine. As the old saying goes "It don't get no better than this"

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Waders.....
PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 4:00 pm 
FFIMer

Bummer Dave hopefully it did not put a damper on the trip......
Hands down I think Simms waders are the best, I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Both my G3's and Freestones took the trip back to Bozeman this winter. One pair had a couple of pin hole leaks in one leg and the gravel guards were pretty tore up the other had no issues or leaks but the gravel guards needed to be replaced. Sent them out and both pairs came back within 3 weeks. Simms did a awesome job :!: cleaned, new gravel guards on both pairs and pin holes patched up on the one pair. My brother sent his back around the same time and his came back with brand new booties and gravel guards. I went through a LOT of waders over the years before buying the Simms there is a few good high end waders on the market but for my money they cannot be beat, and I am not easy on waders between bushwhacking and the drift boat they take a awful beating over the season. Hopefully they can do something for the pair that you have leaking.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 9:25 am 
FFIM Addict

K Fly......

That's great on your Simms. Knowing this is high wader season I'm quite certain I won't get mine back in three weeks.

We're heading West in a month, I'll be using the old G-3s on this trip. If they're leaking too bad I'll just get out the old cc and get new ones out there.
Many of my friends wet wade on these trips.....but truth be told I hate wet wading.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 9:32 am 
FFIM Addict

I'm very much in limbo on Simms. When I finally bit and bought my first pair I really loved them. When the Didymo hubbub was going on I got another full set-up as a gift so I'd have a set-up for Maine and a set for CT.

The Maine pair one of the belt loops fell off, right out of the box. I mean literally out of box on first wearing. Notified Simms they were cool and said either send back or they would send the loop which is iron on. I opted for the latter but couldn't get loop to stay on. Then sent back and they put one on. It fell off!

Took my principal pair that I use tons in CT and sent back for refresher. Had heard and read all the great and wonderful things Simms did for everyone. Gravel guards were shot, seaped like a screen door, but they fit so very comfortably.

They came back sealed like they used a coarse texture roller in the sealer. Basically solid sealant on the legs. The gravel guards/booties were still the same old ones. They stated they were to worn to replace. "Stay out of the brambles". In fact that was directed to me via a phone call from them. Eastern trout don't exist in MEADOW LINED STREAMS and RIVERS!!!!!

I have a newer pair that I bought when the shredders went back. They changed the cut in the design. They are more slim fitted, granted I'm not as slim fitted as I used to be. But putting the two pair next to each other there is a difference and they are the same size. Also they mounted the belt loops lower on the hips which to me anyway is irritating. But I do love the gravel guards. A vast improvement especially for busting through wild rose and mature blackberry. No really they are very nice.

Also that zip-off pouch. In my estimation poor design. To much added bulk. Sometimes people over think themselves.

I am seriously thinking of getting a pair of zippered waders. Especially for winter fishing. Was ready to go with the Reddington zip-ups and then they dropped that model.

Just started wearing my old "repaired pair" as water temps are conducive to some leakage. The newer ones may go back as they have started to seap and I use them for primarily winter.

I guess the point of my rant, why change a good thing. Make a good usable product and people will stick by you.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 10:02 am 
FFIM Addict

I have news for all you leaky wader guys......they can be patched easily. Get a tube of Aquaseal and a good flashlight and find those pinholes.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 11:26 am 
FFIM Addict

I guess I'll have to try the flashlight thing. I still have my Orvis Pro Guides I used on my Yellowstone trip in '05. I probably haven't put more than 8 hours a year on them in recent years, but they have held up until I finally went out last week and there were seeps in both legs. I figured it was probably time to trash them, but they really haven't had that much use and I've never torn or abused them, so maybe a little aquaseal in the right spots is all that's needed.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 11:35 am 
FFIMer

Easiest way to fix pin hole and seam leaks is to fill the wader with water, note where liquid is coming out (mark with chalk or crayon) let them dry and then seal.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 11:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

Dave- Sweetwater has G4 om sale right now. Ask for Marshall :D

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 1:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

Rory wrote:
I guess I'll have to try the flashlight thing. I still have my Orvis Pro Guides I used on my Yellowstone trip in '05. I probably haven't put more than 8 hours a year on them in recent years, but they have held up until I finally went out last week and there were seeps in both legs. I figured it was probably time to trash them, but they really haven't had that much use and I've never torn or abused them, so maybe a little aquaseal in the right spots is all that's needed.

Rory, dark room is required. You probably have a general idea where the leaks are so turn them inside out and slowly run the light along the area looking for bright pin holes. Aquaseal dries clear and pretty quickly.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 2:21 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My old man bought me a pair of G4's for my MBA graduation in 09, they went back once for shredded gravel guards and this winter i just did the aqua Seal thing on my own. It is working but wish I did the flashlight thing... I did the alcohol method that didn't really work. But, fishing right now is in meadow lined rivers, and as such, the insides get more wet then the outsides. But, we have nettles over here, whichbare a PITA, I am willing to sweat to prevent that burning rash.

As it turns out, Santa got me a new pair of G3's for when the G4's die. This was the last chance Santa had to leverage my dad's employee discount at Gore before he retired.

I have nothing but good things to say about Simms products, and Goretex, and their service. I have no reason to spend my money elsewhere.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 9:15 am 

Simms simply don't fit me--I am nowhere near as slim as Ron. I can get them on, but they are tight in all the places I am loose. :lol: Simms gets credit though for making a size 16 wading boot--the only one I can find.

I've had excellent success with Patagonia waders, which, in the right size, fit me well. There are often screaming deals at the outlet store in Freeport, and if you get lucky you will be there when your size is on the rack. If not, like Dave, I look for deals and take them when I can, but I'd pay retail if I had to. I use mine for work, fishing and duck hunting, so they see hard use from April into January every year, and occasionally in February and March.

I am not gentle on my gear, and I spend a lot of time bushwhacking, banging my shins on stubs of spruce and cedar blowdowns, high legging over barbed wire fences, sitting on barnacle covered rocks, and other abusive behavior.

I typically get 3-5 years out of a pair, with a few patches for obvious tears I inflict, before the fabric gives up the ghost and it is time for a new pair.

My only complaint is that they don't breath as well as I would like on hot humid days where I am hiking in them as much as I am wading. Most of the time this puts me in the wet wading camp, but there are times--leech infested beaver flowages, for example--where that is not an option. I can get them pretty wet by working up a sweat. But anything they are WAY better than neoprenes or any of the old rubber, nylon or plastic alternatives, and anything lighter and more breathable would never stand up to how I use them.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 9:34 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff..........

I'm glad, for you, that you can get screaming deals on waders at the Freeport Patagonia Outlet.

I wa in there a month or so ago, and, suspecting that my Simms were about to give up the ghost......looked at the Rio Gallegos'. The Outlet had them, and in my size, no less......but at full retail!

I thought outlets were supposed to have deals. Every Patagonia piece of fishing gear in that store.....at least that particular day......was at full retail price. I left a little shocked.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 9:41 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff-

Simms offers their waders in various configurations and sizes. Have you tried their custom department? Same price as regular- but you do have to wait on delivery.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 4:23 pm 

I did not know they did custom--may explore that route when my Rio Gallegos give up the ghost if I have Dave M's experience at the outlet store. My last pair came from an online sale, but the pair before that came from the outlet store at about 50% of retail.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 7:42 am 
FFIM Addict

I barely wear my waders anymore, as in maybe 5 days a year, max. I think my 5 year old G3s will last another 10 at least.

I picked up some Simms wading socks this year. You can flip up the gravel guards and then you've got coverage up to and over the knee -- almost like hip boots of yore. I wear them with a pair of keens when I'm going to otherwise get my feet wet, but I don't want to wear or carry waders.