FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 4:54 pm 
FFIMer

Heading up to Red River Camps for four days next week. Never been , So much water to pick from!, Any advice would be great! Flies/ponds/lakes! We will explore! Blueback char on bucklist! Don't be afraid to PM me! Not looking for anyone secret spot, just any experience you have had up there! I am sure the camp will help us too! Thank you!

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 5:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

I was up in that area a few weeks ago. Many willing fish rising on Pushinear and Big Black. Fewer on Deboullie. Hardly any risers on Gardner. Ants would be a hatch I'd be looking for if the weather comes off humid..

Red River Camps are an outstanding outfit. You'll enjoy your stay with them.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 9:31 pm 
FFIMer

was up there years ago and had a good time. I fished with a couple of guys that knew the area pretty well. we stayed at Red River camps as well. We lugged some canoes up with us , but also used some of the canoes that the camps had as well. Some of the smaller ponds provide pretty good action, although on most of them the average size of the fish can be smaller. I had good luck with bigger Adams and Wulff patterns on the surface , also flies with red and white in them as well. If you are patient enough ( or inclined) to nymph fish we had good luck with that as well. It was more fun to fish dry flies in the evening though.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 9:31 pm 
FFIMer

Just back from there. Big Black and Denny were good. Bigger fish in Big Black. Its a hike in but RRC has canoes stashed there. We had winds for 3 of our 4 days so fished sinking tip with Maple Syrups and red muddlers. Evening hatches were very sparse but a few warm days could change that. You will enjoy the place and Jen will steer you right! Stop at Alvin Therault's place on the way up just out of Patten. He will have the latest report as most people coming back south stop and check in with him.