FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Trip Downeast...
PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 10:36 pm 

and it was a good one, the type that sustains me thru the winters...I fished 5 streams yesterday between Calais and Ellsworth and had luck at all of them - I got off to a slow start - the first stream I visited was still wicked high - just as I was entertaining thoughts of driving to the other end of the coast a large brown smashed my rig - prolly the biggest, strongest fish I've ever hooked on my 2wt - after about 5 minutes, several unstoppable runs and being dragged downstream several hundred yards he broke off my dropper...he'll be in my head for a while...
After that I got one smaller brown with a funny "mask" on his snout and then I headed down the coast - I ended up landing both sea run and ordinary brookies - I visited a brook I had only been to once before and caught a pair of my first brookies there - that was particularly satisfying...three of the streams I visited had alewives running in them, and in 2 of those they were wall-to-wall, and the eagles and ospreys were going bonkers too - at the last stream I visited, in just 1 tree, I counted 5 eagles - just outside of the Moosehorn NWR I found a nice little deerhorn along a brook I was fishing - that got me wondering why the blueberry capitol of the world was called Cherryfield...anyway, it was a great way to end my forays Downeast for the year - next Saturday I'll be exploring some aqua incognita in the uppermost reaches of the Penobscot watershed - Tight Lines!

Attachments:
brown.JPG
brown.JPG [ 77.72 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
alewives.JPG
alewives.JPG [ 54.9 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
brookie.JPG
brookie.JPG [ 65.81 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]

PostPosted: May 15th, 2017, 8:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian,
Always a bummer when one loses a nice fish after a noble battle. But as you imply, that is what memories are made of. Sounds like your off to a decent season.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 3:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

Sounds like a good trip, love the ale wives pic

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 10:00 am 
FFIMer

Thanks, nice report.

Personally I count the misses and break-offs as success of sorts, especially if I get to see the fish.

I was up to East B Hill road to see if the gate was open last weekend. It wasn't, so I went in search of other water, and found myself in a pool with actively rising large fish. Couldn't temp them with anything, thinking now it had to be midge emergers, but a fat kingfisher came by, along with a pair of otters who snuffed at me and disappeared, a moose and several deer along the way. So that was success too, sort of.

Nick

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 12:41 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I might guess that those were spawning suckers or chubs doing their "dance". 'Tis the season....

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 21st, 2017, 9:29 pm 

Nick, hell yeah that was a success - you learned something about the E B Hill Rd gate, you found a good new prospect and did some high quality wildlife viewing - catching ain't everything...

TGIF - those were alewives - the stream where I took that photo was absolutely choked with them and they were going up over some very formidable falls...the babies will be headed out to sea by mid July, and me'n the stripers are looking forward to it!

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2017, 8:12 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hi Brian,

Sorry, I was suggesting suckers/chubbs to NDanger in the post above me... it would be a long swim for the Alwives from Sea to Upton, maine :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2017, 12:44 pm 

No, I'm sorry TGIF, I know you know better...