FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 6:35 am 
FFIMer

Ice went out at Parlin Pond and Grace Pond on April 30th. Everything in the area is out now. Still some snow in the woods.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 7:02 am 

These spring updates on my favorite part of Maine are one of the best things on FFIM. Thanks, Hatch!

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 11:41 am 
FFIM Addict

It's been over 30 years since I last fished Grace and Parlin Ponds. One of my favorite hikes was up to Little Enchanted from the Scraggy ?? Camps on Spencer. I often wonder how that little pond on the top of the hill is fairing.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 2:10 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Dryflie, I think you accessed Little Enchanted pond from "Hardscrabble Lodge" now owned by John Malone. Like everywhere else there have been logging roads made in the area so the hike from Hardscrabble which brought you into the West end of the pond or the trail from Bulldog Camps which brings you to the East end of the pond get little or no use now. The road near the pond is blocked off leaving fishermen/women with a mile walk. Little Enchanted is still a fine brook trout pond. I have a canoe there.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 6:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

hatch wrote:
Hi Dryflie, I think you accessed Little Enchanted pond from "Hardscrabble Lodge" now owned by John Malone. Like everywhere else there have been logging roads made in the area so the hike from Hardscrabble which brought you into the West end of the pond or the trail from Bulldog Camps which brings you to the East end of the pond get little or no use now. The road near the pond is blocked off leaving fishermen/women with a mile walk. Little Enchanted is still a fine brook trout pond. I have a canoe there.

You're right Hatch, it was Hardscrabble. I believe John Malone owned a big piece of land toward the southern end of Spence at that time. There was some controversy way back then about him and his property but I don't recall the details. We hiked into Little Enchanted several times and once camped up there over a Labor day weekend. I remember a guide from Greenville yelling at us for casting and using flippers from float tubes.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 9:41 pm 
FFIMer

I've spent many, many hours on Little Enchanted, walking up from the Bulldog Camps, first when Ruel and Hazel Orf owned them. In fact, several times I was the first one in there in the early spring, and I took down their canoe from the trees where it spent the winter. During the same years, I've stayed at Grace Pond and enjoyed fishing that lovely spot too. In fact, I was at Bulldog when a small plane went into the trees on Little Enchanted, luckily with both people walking out in the dark. The last time I was there, remains of the stripped plane were still in the woods. Another memory of mine is of two people in a canoe over Memorial day, and they threw their anchor overboard. It was tied to one of the thwarts, and unfortunately the short rope and heavy rock provided them with an opportunity to take a small swim in the pond! Some of their gear was lost and I helped them right their canoe and paddle ashore. I can also remember walking to the shore on Enchanted Pond on Memorial Day, and standing on the rocks on the peninsula toward the cove where the stream comes in. It was very early in the am, and I cast my fly into the pond. When I retrieved it, the line and fly acted strangely. After a minute or two, I realized that the pond was covered in a very light layer of ice, which I couldn't see in the fog. It was a laughable experience to be sure. Great area, great ponds, wonderful experiences.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 9:53 am 
FFIM Addict

KBkid, I don't know the timeframe you're referring to but more than 30 years ago there was the shell of a small plane on the shore of Little Enchanted. We always assumed someone came in but could not get out. Several years later we camped over Labor Day and a plane came up from Greenville and buzzed the pond (we were in tubes and got out of the way quickly). Well, he landed with a sport, pulled a canoe out of the woods, fished for several hours, and then got ready for takeoff. We watched as he damn near crashed into the woods on the eastern end then turned around and just got out heading west.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 2:50 pm 
FFIMer

Dryflie, I'm sure that the shell you saw was the one that went down when we were staying with Ruel & Hazel, back in the early 60's if I recall correctly. I saw it soon after and the canvas was still there, but they had stripped pretty much everything they could; floats, instruments, etc. As a one-time plane owner (172), I would never have given a thought to landing there. Something like a Maule might get in and out, but that was always a touchy pond since it is so protected that the wind never gets a chance to help on takeoff, and there is really only one way out. Walking always seemed a great deal safer.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 4:14 pm 
FFIMer

My first trips Into Big Enchanted Bulldog Camps were when Vlad Vladimof and his wife ran it. The trail up to Little Enchanted had to be close to three miles long. There was an underground stream that would surface here and there along the trail and at one point there was a tin cup hanging from a tree so you could get a drink.
The current owner of Bulldog Camps, Darren Savage, just built a new lodge and dining room. I'm not sure but I would guess at a cost of $300,000 plus. It's quite a joint.
I just built a new bridge to my outhouse that set me back $50. or so. You laugh until you need to use the outhouse and then you'll be glad it's there!

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 8:40 pm 
FFIMer

Hatch, you are right it is quite a place. When Ruel and Hazel owned the place there was a great, old fashioned main lodge that held one rentable room, called Bulldog. Unfortunately, that burned but they were able to save everything else. When they retired, they sold it to -------, and I can't remember his name, only that he had his own Cessna 180 with a black bulldogs head painted on the tail. He was more concerned about flying around than running the camps, and he ended up taking a full time flying job in Canada and selling the camps to Vlad. Vlad's wife was a Bowdoin professor, and was not present most of the year. Vlad owned the place for some years, but did not maintain it like it needed. Darren has brought the place up to its present good condition, and works hard at doing so. Personally, having a relationship with the place since 1956, my nostalgia hearkens back to Ruel and Hazel. Ruel in his "guide clothes" cutting wood, with his fly rod hanging on nails on the wrap around porch, always with a grasshopper tied on. Hazel, with her physical handicap limping around taking care of the cabins and cleaning. The three mile walk into the place kept out "riff-raff" and I remember Ruel walking the road to fix the wire to his radio/phone where the moose ripped it down. It has always been a special place, and one of the prettiest ponds in the entire state. Scaling the mountains on both sides is a challenging proposition, but one is rewarded with fantastic views. Many is the night I made a lean-to along the shore out of conifers, and spent days there waiting for the trout to come to shore at evening time. Reading about Enchanted in Macdouigall's Dud Dean and the Enchanted book give another insight into the place, and talks about the earliest of days there when they were logging camps. There aren't many places like it, for sure.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 8:23 am 
FFIMer

Water temperature at Grand Falls 40.8 degrees. A few black flies. Males (They don't bite they just lite) Pretty early for them to be showing up. Snow flurries Monday, May 8.