FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fly Swap anyone?
PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 4:07 pm 
FFIMer

I'm not good with featherwing streamers, maybe my worse fly. Thinking about a good old Wardens Worry, would you guys use these. Trying to do something other than the usual Ghosts etc.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 8:03 pm 
FFIMer

Bill,
Wardens Worry sounds like a great pattern to use, I don't think I have ever tied one

I'll also be at Superboo Saturday, feel free to hand off flies to me if anyone is going to be there.

I will definitely post pictures of the whole fleet when I have them all.

Peter

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 8:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

igloo lake wrote:
I'm not good with featherwing streamers, etc.

Bill.......

I was just thinking of this very thing today, as I was tying up streamers to donate at SuperBoo.

I've been tying flies for going on 40 years now, and I can't ever remember tying up a Rangeley Carrie Stevens style streamer. Not only that......I've never even used a Jungle Cock feather.

I always figure we have three acclaimed Carrie Stevens streamer tiers here in Maine ( perhaps more....but I'm aware of these three). Selene Dumaine; Gray Wolfe up in Rangeley; and Duane Vigue up in the Katahdin region.

I'm quite certain these type streamers still work just fine.....I'm just used to tying streamers up with marabou and rabbit strips. ( A helluva lot more inexpensive, too). ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm 
FFIMer

I always figure we have three acclaimed Carrie Stevens streamer tiers here in Maine ( perhaps more....but I'm aware of these three). Selene Dumaine; Gray Wolfe up in Rangeley; and Duane Vigue up in the Katahdin region.

Dave don't forget David Footer, quite a talented artist and fly tier. Footer Special is a pretty good LL salmon fly.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 3:28 pm 

Dave M wrote:
igloo lake wrote:
I'm not good with featherwing streamers, etc.

Dave M

Does anybody know if Duane Vigue is still around? His website seems to be gone. His flies are gorgeous, and he was quite a character. I hope he's still doing well. As I recall, despite being a young guy, he had some pretty serious health issues.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 7:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff,
The last I heard health wise he was much better. And he has channeled his talents towards photography. Doing a google search he may be closer than you think.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 8th, 2017, 3:18 am 
FFIM-aholic

I put my money where my mouth is on these classic streamers... i have great success with them, and they have accounted for my largest trout and salmon. We can debate if a slumpbuster or woolley bugger would have been as effective, but they are damn pretty and effective enough to be worth the time to tie.

That said, my success with them is in a few patterns, despite the fact that i have a full spectrum pallet of colors. i have never hooked a fish on a gray ghost, but probably account for 65% of my Rangeley Fish on two featherwing patterns.

Duane is a great tier, I do miss his posts and pics... he has gotten some strong acclaim and has been published in some great works. I leverage Gray Wolfe's style a lot and had good success with his llama flies.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 8th, 2017, 8:43 am 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF wrote:
I put my money where my mouth is on these classic streamers... i have great success with them, and they have accounted for my largest trout and salmon.

Agreed!
I love those classics. Gray Ghost is still, and always will be, $$$.
I also tie and fish two particular featherwing streamers (not the GG) probably more than any other streamer. One of them, I'm certain, is hardly used by others. It would have been my choice had I joined in the fun here, but I haven't been tying this winter and looking at the cast of characters involved in this swap, it's highly likely none of you need (or would even use) anything coming out of my vice. Been enjoyable reading along though.

Post subject: Boneylegs
PostPosted: February 8th, 2017, 11:15 am 
FFIM-aholic

Not to hijack this, but whatever happened to Grey Wolf? I learned a lot from him. He just fell off the map, so to speak.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 6:17 pm 
FFIMer

Mine are done and I will bring them with me to Superboo.

bead head gold ribbed hare's ear, "in the round"

hook: Mustad 9671 or equivalent
bead: gold colored brass
thread: brown
tail: clump of fur from a hare's mask. Include the guard hairs and comb out some of the under-fur.
rib: oval gold tinsel
body: dubbed hare's ear fur
hackle: speckled brown hen back, 2 turns

After wrapping the hackle dub some hare's ear fur on the thread and make 2 turns between the hackle and the bead. Finish with two whip finish knots

PostPosted: February 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm 
FFIMer

Flies are starting to roll in... I have flies from 5 people, picked up 2 at Superboo and came home to find 1 more in the mailbox yesterday. They are all looking top notch, great work form everyone. We still have another 2 weeks or so till the end date, but maybe we'll get everything in earlier.

Peter

PostPosted: February 12th, 2017, 11:40 pm 
FFIMer

Last edited by CZN on February 14th, 2017, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2017, 12:25 am 
FFIMer

Dan, should be fine, I'll PM you my info.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2017, 12:39 pm 
FFIMer

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller. Hoping it's not too late to join in on the fun. I have a nothing fancy Mickey Finn pattern with a little extra flash that worked well on salmon on the east outlet last fall. Would love to share...

PostPosted: February 13th, 2017, 2:01 pm 
FFIMer

Ofbreadandfish, your in, I'll PM you my information. You make number 12 so at this point we are full.

Peter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next