FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nymph Box
PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 2:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

All

I just took a look at my dedicated C&F nymph box....and started laughing. I know I carry too many different nymphs in way too many sizes, but the slits that are empty are almost exclusively in two different rows. The most empty slots are in the PT row, and the next mister. Empty slots are in the Copper John row. Hmmnnmnn.....maybe I should just fill my damn nymph box with PT's and Copper Johns from 22's to 8's and forget about the rest

Midge nymphs/pupas are in a different box......and I bet I could do just fine with nothing but #22 Zebra Midges. Sometimes ( read: often) I think we goers really do over complicate things.

Dave M
Ps: the new computer is being set up this afternoon, so I'll no longer have to do this on my phone, and then it's off to the tying bench to get to work on filling those empty PT slots

Post subject: Re: Nymph Box
PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 2:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

For those words above that don't make sense, thank auto correct.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 3:07 pm 

My approach to fly tying and filling boxes is probably as different from Dave M's as it is possible to be, but . . . . .

My nymph box contains P-tails and Copper-Johns in a variety of sizes and shades, along with some some bead head hare's ears, a variety of "green rock worms", and a few really heavy stoneflies that are mostly for weight.

Give me either P-tails or Copper Johns from size 12-22 and enough weight to fish them and I'd cover most of my nymph needs.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 5:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

Viva la Differance! I have a few Copper Johns, and almost never fish them...I have a row of P'tails, and while I do fish them, I don't expect much from them. I do tie a CDC P'tail, which I see as a totally different fly- and fish THAT often. I clearly lean toward soft hackles and wets. Wets are key, and GREEN caddis worms and larva. Dips in 3 colors and stones.

I have 12 GRHE in my box....they have been dry for...well, they have never been wet.

I think this leads to the idea that fish eat EVERYTHING...and will eat nymphs that show NO reason for being there if the fly is presented in the manner or depth needed to call a strike. We have come to the opinions that depth of water is MUCH more important that fly...if you are not hitting bottom, you are not catching as many fish.

Simple.

Hutch

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 6:10 pm 
FFIMer

Guilty as charged - too many styles, but probably in too few sizes. I probably have 20 different nymph patterns, mostly because one worked really well on one river at some point along the road, but others because they became popular. Yes, BHPT's and GRHE's rule the roost, along with CJ's in various sizes and colors, but who doesn't have a couple rainbow warriors just because they look cool? They work, too. If I hadn't read George Daniels's books on nymphing and streamer fishing, I'd have a lot fewer patterns, too, but that's what makes it interesting.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 2:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have less issue with variety.... but I carry tons of nymphs... a full large C&f box with a middle leaf, jammed. Nothing more than caddis, PTs, stones, and some dragonflies.. my issue is quantity. If I go somewhere for a weekend, I feel naked without at least a dozen in multiple colors and sizes of all those mentioned. I fortunately or unfortunately find the botttom when I nymph and it isn't uncommon to lose 4 or 5 nymph rigs in a day.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 5:17 pm 
FFIMer

I believe I have 3 nymph boxes... maybe 4, like many have said, I usually only fish a couple patterns. BHPT, Micro Madison Midge (basically a zebra midge with a tail, thorax and flash back) are my go to. Coppers Johns have only worked once, very early spring last season for 3 or 4 weeks. I hardly ever fish stones, which I plan on changing this season. I need to more because I always hear people doing well on them. I haven't had much luck with GRHE, but always keep some on hand. I have some rainbow warriors but they have never touched the lip of a fish. It finally clicked the importance to being right on bottom to me last season. I was always close to the bottom, ticking it ever so often, but definitely did better last season making sure I was constantly bouncing. For me size seems to be more important, I very rarely fish anything larger then 18, unless I'm fishing tandem nymphs, and one is always 18 or smaller. My CFR nymph did really well for me last spring, but didn't do much at all in the fall. I found that a little weird, but we'll see how next year plays out. I think I will spend more time tying smaller nymphs (20s and 22s)going forward then tying a wider variety of nymphs.

Peter

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 5:26 pm 
FFIMer

Peter, if you're going to be fishing bottom from now on you'd better ditch those 20s and 22s and start thinking 8's.They have their place.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 6:45 pm 
FFIMer

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Peter, if you're going to be fishing bottom from now on you'd better ditch those 20s and 22s and start thinking 8's.They have their place.

Thats crazy.... go small or go home!

Give me the patterns for some of those size 8s, I'll test that out next year. For me if I'm struggling I drop a size or two then have some action, the answer is almost never bigger.

Peter

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 4:51 am 
FFIM-aholic

Peter, what's the pattern for your CFR nymph?

As for stones... mercer biot stone with legs... my best producers are tied on 6 and 8 streamer hooks... BIG stones, 90% of the time.

There are days that i also wouldn't be without some dragon fly nymphs.

I also fish some deaddrifted crawfish that has produced good fish during high flows. they require an awful lot of weight to get them down.

I catch 3 to 1 on the big nymph over the little one. The theory has played out in France as well... any time i see a stone fly under a rock, it is my best producer.

I think a lot of people fail on big nymphs because they need a lot of weight to get down, and even with weight they need time because they are broader and sink slower.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm 
FFIMer

Tim, here's the recipe:
Hook: Tiemco 2457 or similar, curved shank heavy wire
Bead: small silver
Tail: 2 or 3 strands UV pearl krystal flash
Body: black and red thread, I use combo thread... 2 colors on one spool
Wing: olive CDC puff
Thorax: black dubbing natural/synthetic blend

I'd post a pic but it's won't allow me to says "the board attachment quota has been reached"

I plan on whipping up some stones this winter, I'll have to give them a serious go in the spring.

Peter

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 2:28 am 
FFIM-aholic

Is it a CDC wingcase? Or more like an émerger?

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 12:27 pm 
FFIMer

No, I just tie in the puff lossley by the but end and pull it threw the loose thread wraps until the tips are slightly shorter then the body, then secure it.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 10:49 am 
FFIM Addict

All.....

Had a really nice time catching up with friends Sunday in Fairfield at Mikes Tie and Lie.

Tied up a dozen and a half bead head flashback PT's to fill those empty slots. Mostly #14's (for weight)on the point fly and #20's for the dropper. Most of the time the trout will take the smalller dropper. The exception to that would be Landlocks. I've found they take both in about a 50/50 ratio.

I'm about to take out the Green Rockworms ( Rycophilia) as I catch absolutely nothing on them....even in waters with good numbers of green rockworms. I have zero faith in that pattern.

Give me a selection of PT's from 8 to 22; Copper Johns in the same sizes; Zebra Midge pupa in 22's; and Pink Glo Bugs in #14's and there'd be very few instances where I'd need any other nymph.

Unlike Hutch I have dozens of Three Dollar Dips and have done zip with them. GRHE's used to be a staple but I've gotten away from them.. same with Whitlock Red Squirrel Nymph.

I occasionally use giant Stone nymphs, but mostly for the weight. Almost all the trout actually take the small PT trailer.

I have Green Damsel nymphs that I almost never use.....and have also gotten away from LaFontaines Deep Sparkle Pupa......although the Emergent is still a "go to" pattern for me. I also carry Cranefly nymphs that I've never caught a trout or landlock on. Why do I carry those??

I guess it really is time to put all those patterns I never use into the stock boxes and just carry patterns that I'll actually tie onto the end of my tippet.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 12:04 pm 
FFIMer

Dave, it is ok to come out of the piscatorial closet :D

Dave M wrote:
All.....

Pink Glo Bugs in #14's and there'd be very few instances where I'd need any other nymph.

Dave M